Saraswat appointed new scientific adviser to Defence MinisterAugust 27th, 2009 - 7:53 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 27 (ANI): Dr Vijay Kumar Saraswat has been appointed as scientific adviser to Defence Minister AK Antony and will also serve as Director General of the Defence Research and Development Organisation.
Dr. Saraswat, who will replace the present incumbent M Natarajan on September 1, will also serve as Secretary Department of Defence Research and Development,.
He is presently Chief Controller Research and Development (Missiles and Strategic Systems) since November 2005 in DRDO.
In this capacity, he spearheaded the development of country’s strategic and tactical missile systems, including the AGNI series of strategic missiles covering a range up to 3000 kms.
Dr Saraswat, who has a doctorate in Combustion Engineering, started his career in DRDO in 1972 at Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL), Hyderabad and was responsible for the development of country’s first Liquid Propulsion Engine.
As Project Director ‘PRITHVI’, he steered the design, development, production and induction of first indigenous Surface-to-Surface missile system ‘PRITHVI’, into armed forces.
The successful testing of DHANUSH missile on board a moving ship with high terminal accuracy brought new dimension in the national defence capability. Dr. Saraswat also pioneered the concept of theatre defence system and integration of national Air Defence elements.
He was Director RCI before taking over as CCR and D(MSS). He has headed various committees of national importance.
Dr Saraswat is forerunner in the development of number of critical missile technologies that were under denial due to Missile Technology Control regime, thus making India self-reliant in Missile Technologies.
He has received several awards including Prof Jai Krishna Memorial Award of Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE) and National Systems Gold Medal by Systems Society of India.
International Academy of Engineering, Russia, elected Dr. Saraswat as Member of Academy and honoured him as an academician. (ANI)
- Saraswat takes charge as new DRDO chief - Sep 01, 2009
- Agni-I missile test-fired off Orissa coast - Nov 25, 2010
- Missile expert is defence research organisation's chief - Aug 27, 2009
- India twice successfully tests n-capable Prithvi-II missile (Second Lead) - Dec 22, 2010
- India successfully tests n-capable Agni II - Sep 30, 2011
- Now, DRDO chief defends Tatra trucks - Mar 31, 2012
- US Entity List removal not of much help: India - Nov 16, 2011
- Prithvi-II, Dhanush missiles test fired successfully - Mar 11, 2011
- India, Pakistan successfully test-fire n-capable missiles (Fourth Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- No cap on Agni missile project: India - Apr 20, 2012
- India to test 5,000-km intercontinental ballistic missile by year-end - Jun 03, 2011
- PM briefed about Agni-V, India's future missile programme - Apr 21, 2012
- India's Agni-IV n-capable missile showcased - Jan 26, 2012
- India tests two nuke capable missiles (Second Lead) - Mar 27, 2010
- India working on laser weapons - Nov 25, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,