Sarabjit issue: Pakistan Government considering it activelyApril 24th, 2008 - 9:57 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, Apr 24 (ANI): The Pakistan Government on Wednesday said that it is actively considering the issue of clemency plea for Sarabjit Singh, the Indian national on death row in Pakistan.
The issue is under active consideration, Pakistan’s Foreign Office spokesman Mohammad Sadiq told a press conference.
We have received a request from the Indian government … and a decision will be taken in due course, the Dawn quoted him, as saying.
Meanwhile, Sarabjit Singhs family met him at Lahores Kot Lakhpat Jail.
Sarabjit’s daughters Swapandeep and Poonam, his wife Sukhpreet Kaur, his sister Dalbir Kaur and her husband Baldev Singh entered Pakistan via the Wagah border on Wednesday afternoon.
Sarabjit, who Pakistan claims is Manjit Singh, was sentenced to death in 1991 for his alleged involvement in four bomb blasts that killed 14 people.
His family denies he is a spy as claimed by Pakistan and insists that he accidentally strayed into Pakistani territory.
Sarabjit has repeatedly reiterated that his was a case of mistaken identity and that he had not committed the crimes he was convicted for.
The Indian High Commission in Pakistan also insists that he is Sarabjit and not Manjit as claimed by the Pakistan Government.
Incidentally, the newly elected Pakistan Government has also been favouring the Sarabjit’s case. They had in fact asked for commuting of all death sentences to life imprisonment.
Sarabjit was to be hanged on April 1, but was put off till April 30 after India had appealed to the Pakistan Government for clemency. He has been on death row since the Pakistan’s Supreme Court rejected his mercy petition in March 2006. (ANI)
- Sarabjit to meet sister -- after 21 years - Jun 16, 2011
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Conditions favourable in Pakistan for Sarabjit's release: Sister - Jul 05, 2011
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's kin in Ajmer, seek his release - Apr 08, 2012
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family to protest at Jantar Mantar - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: baldev, bomb blasts, case of mistaken identity, clemency, death row, death sentences, foreign office, indian government, indian high commission, indian high commission in pakistan, life imprisonment, manjit singh, mercy petition, mohammad, office spokesman, pakistan government, pakistani territory, sadiq, wagah border, wednesday afternoon