Sara and Dara are the Muslim avatars of Barbie and KenSeptember 24th, 2008 - 4:47 pm ICT by ANI
London, September 24 (ANI): Sara and Dara dolls are the Iranian Governments answer to the ”harmful effects” of their American counterparts, Barbie and Ken.
Made by the Institute for the Intellectual Development of Children and Young Adults, the Sara and Dara are part of the governments effort to promote traditional Muslim values in the country.
The toys come dressed in modest clothing, and have pro-family backgrounds.
Each of the four models of Sara comes with a white headscarf.
The toys will be sold for just a third of the price of a Barbie doll.
Toy seller Masoumeh Rahimi hailed the new dolls.
She said that the image of Barbie as buxom, blonde and wearing revealing clothing was “more harmful than an American missile”.
She was of the view that playing with Barbie dolls could lead young girls to grow into women who rejected Iranian values.
“Dara and Sara are strategic products to preserve our national identity. And, of course, it is an answer to Barbie and Ken, which have dominated Iran’’s toy market,” the Telegraph quoted Mehdi Hedayat, another toy seller, as saying.
Dara and Sara started out as characters in schoolbooks, and their lives have also grown into stories that are being sold on cassette along with the dolls.
The siblings help each other to solve problems, and turn to their loving parents for guidance. They are both supposed to be eight years old, young enough under Islamic law for Sara to appear in public without a headscarf.
Around 100,000 dolls have been manufactured in China.
This is not the first time that Barbie has faced tough competition from a Muslim rival, for a veiled doll named Fulla appeared on the shelves of Egypt’’s toy stores in 2003, to meet demands of the people who did not want to buy Barbie dolls for their daughters. (ANI)
- Iran shutting down shops selling Barbies? - Jan 22, 2012
- Iranian firm comes up with first Islamic doll - Fatima - Nov 20, 2010
- New avatar of 'Sara' to fight Iran's battle against 'Barbie' - Oct 09, 2009
- Ken and Barbie's fate put to Facebook vote - Feb 09, 2011
- New Barbie with hidden camera branded a "gift to paedophiles" - Nov 03, 2010
- Are Barbie and Ken getting together again after 43 yrs? - Feb 07, 2011
- Barbie doll-maker slammed over recruitment of models as young as 12 - Feb 13, 2011
- New Barbie dolls for Olympics 2012 - Jul 26, 2012
- Barbie to reunite with beau Ken in 'Toy Story 3' (With Images) - Jun 08, 2010
- Barbie doll creator dead - Jul 24, 2011
- 'Busty Barbie' creates a controversy - May 25, 2010
- Mattel to give Barbie's boyfriend Ken makeover in new reality series - Mar 24, 2011
- Barbie Doll all set to come as a Computer Engineer version too - Feb 16, 2010
- Barbie and Ken may reunite - Feb 07, 2011
- Barbie to go bald - Apr 01, 2012
Tags: american counterparts, barbie and ken, barbie doll, barbie dolls, dara, family backgrounds, headscarf, intellectual development, islamic law, loving parents, modest clothing, muslim values, national identity, revealing clothing, schoolbooks, toy market, toy seller, toy stores, young adults, young girls