Sanjiv Nandas quantum of sentence todaySeptember 3rd, 2008 - 9:18 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept 3 (ANI): A Delhi court will pronounce quantum of punishment in BMW hit-and-run case today.
On Tuesday, the main accused Sanjeev Nanda, and three others, were found guilty in the case, in which six persons, including three constables, were killed in 1999.
A court found Nanda guilty under the Section 304 (2) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), dealing with culpable homicide not amounting to murder. The law prescribes ten years imprisonment as maximum punishment.
The court also convicted three others, head of General Motor Finance Rajiv Gupta and his two servants Bhola Nath and Shyam Singh — for destruction of evidence as they had washed the blood stains and victims” flesh pieces from the offending vehicle at a house in Golf Links area here.
Manik Kapoor, a friend of Nanda, who was in the vehicle at the time of the accident, was acquitted.
The ten-year-old case involving Nanda, son of arms dealer Suresh Nanda and grandson of former Navy chief S.M. Nanda, allegedly in an inebriated state is accused of mowing down seven people with his high speeding BMW car in the wee hours of January 10, 1999 in Lodhi Colony area. Six persons died on the spot while one survived.
Nanda had been tried under various provisions of the IPC including section 304 part-I (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), prescribing ten years” jail term as maximum punishment.
Earlier, another co-accused, Sidhartha Gupta, son of Rajiv Gupta, accused by the police of being present in the car at the time of the accident, was later discharged by the Delhi High Court. (ANI)
- Supreme Court to hear police appeal in BMW hit-and-run case - Apr 12, 2010
- BMW hit-and-run case: HC to decide Sanjeev Nanda's fate today - Jul 20, 2009
- Sanjeev Nanda found guilty in BMW hit-and-run case - Sep 02, 2008
- Sanjeev Nanda's sentence reduced in BMW hit-and-run case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- BMW hit-and-run case sentencing deferred to Sept 5 - Sep 03, 2008
- Delhi High Court grants interim bail to Sanjeev Nanda - Mar 06, 2009
- Delhi HC upholds conviction of Nanda in BMW hit and run case - Jul 20, 2009
- BMW hit and run case: Delhi court order on Nanda`s bail plea today - Oct 04, 2008
- BMW hit and run case: Delhi court rejects Nanda`s bail plea - Oct 04, 2008
- Delhi Court issues notice to police on Sanjeev Nanda plea - Sep 23, 2008
- High Court refuses to extend Sanjeev Nanda''s interim bail - Jan 09, 2009
- BMW case: SC frees three convicted for proof tampering - Aug 01, 2012
- Verdict in BMW hit-and-run case to be pronounced today - Sep 02, 2008
- High Court grants interim bail to Sanjeev Nanda - Dec 19, 2008
- Chronology of the BMW case - Jul 20, 2009