Sanjay Dutt says beaten up while in jailApril 10th, 2009 - 1:55 pm ICT by ANI
Bareilly, Apr 10 (ANI): Actor-turned-politician Sanjay Dutt has caused flutters in the political circles with his revelation that he was beaten up while he was in police custody in the nineties under the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA).
“TADA is something, which can be used to finish off anybody. They talk about confessions, they will beat a confession out of you. They will ask whether your mother is a Muslim and beat for that. Then they will ask if your father is a Hindu and then again beat you and on top of that you will have to give everything in writing and sign it. This is the meaning of TADA and POTA,” Dutt said.
The Supreme Court has rejected a plea by Dutt, convicted in connection with the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, to allow him to contest the general elections.
The court had said that Dutt had been convicted for a “serious offence” related to a terror attack on Mumbai and therefore his conviction could not be stayed.
Dutt was convicted in 2007 for taking an AK-56 rifle and a pistol from gangsters linked to the 1993 bombings in Mumbai in which 257 people were killed.
Dutt, sentenced to six years in prison, has appealed against the conviction in the Supreme Court and is currently out on bail. (ANI)
- Not linked to 1993 Mumbai blasts, Sanjay Dutt tells SC - Aug 14, 2012
- 1993 Mumbai blasts case: Supreme Court's final hearing on March 29 - Jan 11, 2011
- 1993 Mumbai blasts case: Supreme Court to hear final hearing in January 2011 - Jul 26, 2010
- Salem moves court in Mumbai blasts case - Jan 17, 2012
- Supreme Court rejects plea against Sanjay Dutt - Jul 04, 2011
- I hope court case gets over soon: Sanjay Dutt - Aug 10, 2011
- CBI opposes relief for Sanjay Dutt - Aug 23, 2012
- I met Dawood Ibrahim once: Sanjay Dutt - Aug 15, 2012
- Apex court wants details of Abu Salem case proceedings - Mar 19, 2012
- Relief for Abu Salem as apex court stays trial in 1993 blasts (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Three convicted in 2003 Mumbai twin blasts case - Jul 27, 2009
- Court to pronounce quantum of sentence to 2003 Mumbai twin blasts convicts today - Aug 04, 2009
- Court to pronounce quantum of sentence to 2003 Mumbai twin blasts convicts on Aug 6 - Aug 04, 2009
- Portuguese Supreme Court cancels Salem's extradition, CBI unfazed (Second Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Key 1993 Mumbai blasts accused extradited from UAE - Jun 08, 2010
Tags: actor turned politician, bombings in mumbai, confession, confessions, conviction, disruptive activities, gangsters, general elections, hindu, mumbai blasts, nineties, offence, pistol, police custody, political circles, pota, prevention act, sanjay dutt, tada, terror attack