Sanjay Dutt moves SC to allow him to contest electionsMarch 5th, 2009 - 3:18 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 5 (ANI): Bollywood actor-turned-politician Sanjay Dutt, who was named by the Samajwadi Party as its candidate for the forthcoming general elections, on Thursday moved the Supreme Court seeking a stay on his conviction under the Arms Act in connection with the 1993 Mumbai blasts case.
Dutt can only contest the Lok Sabha polls if he gets a stay.
The petition was filed on Thursday morning and will be mentioned in the apex court on Friday for early hearing.
Earlier, defence counsel V R Manohar, who represented Dutt in the case, said he cannot contest unless the Supreme Court stays the conviction and suspends the sentence.
Under the Representation of the People Act, anyone sentenced to more than two years” imprisonment is barred from contesting elections till a court of law stays the conviction and sentence.
On November 27, 2007, Dutt was granted bail by the apex court. He is out on merely on bail following his conviction in the blasts case. So his conviction stands. On July 31, 2007, he was sentenced to a jail term of six years for illegal possession of firearms acquired from terrorist acquaintances, who were responsible for the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts.
He was, however, “cleared of terrorism conspiracy charges in the blasts.” (ANI)
- Supreme Court to hear Sanjay Dutt''s petition on March 30 to stay conviction - Mar 06, 2009
- Supreme Court to hear Sanjay Dutt's petition to stay conviction - Mar 30, 2009
- Supreme Court rejects plea against Sanjay Dutt - Jul 04, 2011
- SC reserves order on Sanjay Dutt's plea - Mar 30, 2009
- SC to hear Sanjay Dutt's plea on Monday - Mar 29, 2009
- Samajwadi Party appoints Sanjay Dutt as General Secretary - Apr 02, 2009
- Not linked to 1993 Mumbai blasts, Sanjay Dutt tells SC - Aug 14, 2012
- I was not surprised by Supreme Court's decision: Sanjay Dutt - Mar 31, 2009
- CBI opposes relief for Sanjay Dutt - Aug 23, 2012
- I met Dawood Ibrahim once: Sanjay Dutt - Aug 15, 2012
- I hope court case gets over soon: Sanjay Dutt - Aug 10, 2011
- Ayodhya demolition behind 1993 Mumbai blasts, apex court told - Nov 01, 2011
- Alistair Pereira surrenders in hit and run case - Jan 16, 2012
- Three year jail for Mumbai hit-and-run convict: Apex court (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- SC slams Punjab government for 'drama' in Rajoana case - Mar 29, 2012
Tags: acquaintances, actor turned politician, apex, apex court, bollywood actor, conspiracy charges, conviction, defence counsel, general elections, illegal possession of firearms, imprisonment, jail term, lok sabha polls, manohar, mumbai blasts, mumbai bomb blasts, representation of the people act, Samajwadi Party, sanjay dutt, thursday morning