Sangma apologises to Sonia over calling her of ‘foreign origin’June 5th, 2009 - 6:10 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 5 (ANI): P A Sangma, leader of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), apologised to Congress Party president Sonia Gandhi for having raised the issue of Gandhi’s foreign origin, over five years ago.
Admitting that it was his fault, Sangma said that the issue he had raised has now been resolved.
“The issue, I had raised, is now over. I had to make amends. It was my fault and that’s why I apologised,” Sangma told reporters outside Parliament here on Friday.
Burying the hatchet, the former Lok Sabha Speaker, met her a few days ago and apologised to her. He also said that Gandhi has agreed to attend his son Conrad’s wedding reception.
Back in 2004, Sangma had said that by voting for the Congress Party, the people of India have ignored the issue of Sonia Gandhi being a foreign national, for which he had been consistently campaigning.
“The issue of foreign origin, which I had been consistently campaigning for the last more than five years, has not been taken by the people of India seriously. This issue will now become a serious issue before the country and the real debate on the issue will start now,” said Sangma.
Sangma along with Food and Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar and NCP general secretary Tariq Anwar had parted ways with the Congress Party on the issue of Gandhi’s foreign origin. (ANI)
- Sangma quits NCP, set to take on Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- Meghalaya NCP legislators join NPP - Aug 24, 2012
- Sangma apologises to Sonia Gandhi for foreign origin remarks - Jun 05, 2009
- Determined to contest, Sangma quits NCP (Second Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Foreign origin of Sonia 'an issue of past': Agatha Sangma - Jun 09, 2009
- Congress evades comment on NCP merger talks - Jun 12, 2009
- Sangma set to float new party - Jul 30, 2012
- Mayawati silent on Sangma's bid at presidency - May 19, 2012
- PM praises Pawar, UPA row ebbs for now (Roundup) - Jul 20, 2012
- Congress tries hard to mollify NCP, Pawar unswayed (Intro Roundup) - Jul 21, 2012
- Praful denies resignation, NCP stays with UPA (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- I have quit NCP, says Sangma - Jun 20, 2012
- NCP and government mend fences, PM praises Pawar (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- 'Time for NCP to merge with Congress' - Sep 29, 2009
Tags: agriculture minister, apologised, apologises, congress party president, conrad, few days, general secretary, hatchet, India, Lok Sabha, more than five years, nationalist congress party, ncp, New Delhi, parliament, sharad pawar, sonia gandhi, tariq anwar, wedding reception