Sangli has festival of lights on DussehraNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:44 am ICT by admin
People from far off places arrive here to witness the magnificent celebrations of Dussehra with firecrackers. This practice has been followed for over a hundred years. The ostensible reason is that they would like to celebrate the killing of demon King Ravana by Lord Rama on this day.
“The night-long bursting of firecrackers draws people from all over Maharashtra to enjoy the spectacle. This is the pride of our village. This festival is being celebrated since many years”, said Ramchandra Thorat, a member of local governing body.
People from all communities dance and indulge in revelry through out the night. There is brilliance and sparkle everywhere. People from all communities participate in the celebrations.
Organised by over 400 small organising committees or Mandals, the firecrackers used are prepared by villagers themselves at the village with no technical or financial support from outside.
“There are 400-500 mandals (small organizing committees) who manage their own expenses. The estimated cost is about rupees 100 million,” said P.B.Chavan, a member of the firework organising committee.
People here take several precautions during the fireworks display and take pride in the fact that no untoward incident has ever happened. (ANI)
- Maharashtra's Sangli village lit up with fireworks on Dussehra night - Nov 14, 2007
- At 175 feet, Ambala claims it has tallest Ravana - Sep 28, 2009
- A town that never burns Ravana effigy - Oct 06, 2011
- Durga Puja, Navratri festivities conclude - it's Dussehra! - Oct 06, 2011
- On Dussehra, kill evil within you: Bollywood to fans - Oct 06, 2011
- Here Ravana worshipped on Dussehra! - Oct 05, 2011
- Dussehra's over, but Ravana still alive here - Oct 01, 2009
- Dussehra being celebrated throughout India - Oct 17, 2010
- Kasab's effigy to be burnt in Indore and Kanpur - Sep 28, 2009
- Elephant processions, percussion orchestras mark Kerala festivals (Letter from Kerala) - May 12, 2012
- Kerala readies for Thrissur Pooram festival - Apr 29, 2012
- Spurt in demand for cricket-themed firecrackers as World Cup, Holi coincide - Mar 18, 2011
- PM, Sonia attend Dussehra function - Oct 17, 2010
- Ravana in high demand on Dussehra for different reasons - Oct 17, 2010
- 185-foot Ravana goes up in smoke in Haryana village - Oct 06, 2011
Tags: celebrations, demon king ravana, diwali, firecrackers, firework, fireworks display, local governing body, lord rama, maharashtra, mandals, organising committee, organising committees, ostensible reason, pride, revelry, sangli, that they would like, thorat, untoward incident