Samir Brahmachari takes charge as CSIR Director GeneralNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:35 am ICT by admin
He took over the charge from Department of Science and Technology (DST) Secretary Dr. T Ramasami, who was holding the additional charge as Director General, CSIR and Secretary, DSIR.
Prior to this Dr. Brahmachari held the charge of Director, Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (IGIB), Delhi.
Before joining as Director, IGIB, Dr. Brahmachari, a Ph.D in Molecular Biophysics, was a Professor of Molecular Biophysics and Genetic Engineering at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
He has pioneered functional genomics initiative in India and is successfully led the Indian genome Variation Consortium project and presently coordinating a national network project in ‘In Silico Biology’ for drug target development.
He has demonstrated association of two genes to Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder.
Dr Brahmachari has been honoured with several awards and distinctions, including INSA Young Scientists Award (1979); Prof. B.R. Ambedkar Centenary Award for Excellence in Biomedical Research (ICMR) 2005; J.C. Bose Medal (INSA) 2007; and H K Firodia Awards for Excellence in Science and Technology (2007).
Dr Brahmachari is an elected member of the Human Genome Organization (1991) and the HUGO Council (2004).
He has also been a member of various Central Task Forces and Committees.
Dr. Brahmachari has over 130 publications in leading international journals and has five patents and 10 software copyrights to his credit. (ANI)
- Youth should undertake innovative research: Deshmukh - Sep 26, 2011
- CSIR to build India's first innovation complex - Sep 07, 2012
- CSIR seeks industry's help for India's first innovation complex (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Technology firms awarded for innovation - Mar 29, 2012
- Jamia professor gets young scientist award - Dec 20, 2010
- CSIR, a jewel in India's crown: FICCI - Nov 12, 2010
- Scientists rejig human evolution, Indians ancestors of East Asians (Lead) - Dec 11, 2009
- Genome sequencing will help to identify causes of ailments: CSIR - Sep 28, 2008
- Mahindra's maiden aircraft completes successful test flight - Sep 14, 2011
- Human genome mapping: Scientists question claim - Dec 12, 2009
- India-US science body seeks removal of visa problems - Jun 13, 2012
- Indian origin scientist ousted from CSIR after report row - Nov 10, 2009
- India maps human genome, joins elite league (Lead) - Dec 08, 2009
- India-Cuba joint discovery in biomedical sciences wins award - Jul 19, 2011
- World's first computer model of organism created - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: bipolar disorder, centenary award, consortium project, csir, department of science and technology, director general, drug target, dsir, genomics initiative, human genome organization, icmr, igib, indian institute of science bangalore, insa, integrative biology, molecular biophysics, science and technology, silico biology, software copyrights, target development