Samajwadi Party expels Azam Khan for six yearsMay 24th, 2009 - 6:52 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow, May 24 (ANI): The Samajwadi Party on Sunday expelled senior leader Mohammad Azam Khan for six years for anti-party activities, capping weeks of bitter feud with the party leadership over its closeness with former BJP leader Kalyan Singh and its choice of Jayaprada as the party candidate for the Rampur Lok Sabha constituency.
“Azam Khan was involved in anti-party activities for a long time. Despite the national leadership’s request he continued indisciplined behaviour and did not attend party meetings due to which he has been expelled from the party for six years,” the party’s state president, Shivpal Singh Yadav, said.
Khan, 60, a founder member of the party, had actively campaigned against Jayaprada in the Rampur constituency and made adverse comments against Amar Singh.
Khan had raised the banner of revolt against the party leadership after JayapPrada’s candidature from Rampur was declared. He was also peeved over Mulayam Singh Yadav’s friendship with former BJP leader Kalyan Singh, who was the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh during the 1992 Babri mosque demolition.
He had termed Yadav’s closeness with Kalyan Singh as against the sentiments of Muslims. (ANI)
- Samajwadi Party revokes expulsion of Azam Khan - Nov 03, 2010
- Azam-Amar feud: SP expels its founder leader (Lead) - May 24, 2009
- Azam Khan expelled from Samajwadi Party for 6 years - May 24, 2009
- Azam Khan's expulsion revoked - Nov 03, 2010
- After Azam barb, disquiet in SP out in open (News Analysis) - Jul 26, 2012
- Jaya Prada takes on Azam Khan - Mar 03, 2012
- BSP suspends party MP for indiscipline and fund misuse - Sep 21, 2011
- BJP expels Jammu and Kashmir leader Chaman Lal Gupta - Jun 01, 2011
- Mulayam welcomes Azam Khan back in party fold - Dec 04, 2010
- BJP expels Jammu and Kashmir leader Chaman Lal Gupta (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Rampur stuns Jaya Prada - Mar 06, 2012
- Azam refuses to call ceasefire with Bukhari - Apr 10, 2012
- 60 constituencies in final phase of UP polls - Mar 02, 2012
- Akhilesh stakes claim to form government - Mar 10, 2012
- SP expels Amar Singh and 'close compatriot' Jaya Prada - Feb 02, 2010
Tags: amar singh, azam khan, babri mosque, bitter feud, bjp leader, candidature, chief minister, closeness, founder member, jayaprada, Lok Sabha, mohammad, mulayam singh yadav, national leadership, party candidate, party leadership, party meetings, rampur, sabha constituency, state president