Samajwadi Party appoints Sanjay Dutt as General SecretaryApril 2nd, 2009 - 2:38 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr 2 (ANI): The Samajwadi party on Thursday appointed Bollywood actor-turned-politician Sanjay Dutt as its National General Secretary.
Dutt, who was barred from contesting the elections by the Supreme Court because of his conviction under the Arms Act in connection with the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, told reporters here today, “Mein dil se kam karoonga aur sach ke liye kam karoonga (I will work with my heart and for the truth).
On Wednesday, in an interview to IBN-7, Dutt had claimed that his father Sunil Dutt had died because he could not recover from the humiliation he suffered from the Congress.
“My father died because of the Congress. They did not listen to him…. and took Sanjay Nirupam in the Congress, the man who abused him when he was in the Shiv Sena. He died because of that,” said Dutt.
Dutt had also revealed that he was threatened by Union Law Minister H R Bhardwaj’s aide when he decided to join the Samajwadi Party.
However, Bhardwaj has denied all allegations.
Dutt, who moved the Supreme Court on March 5, was chosen as a Samajwadi Party nominee from Lucknow seat.
On March 30, the apex court had reserved its order on Dutt’s plea seeking a stay on his conviction under the Arms Act.On November 27, 2007, Dutt was granted bail by the apex court. He is out on merely on bail following his conviction in the blasts case. So his conviction stands. On July 31, 2007, he was sentenced to a jail term of six years for illegal possession of firearms acquired from terrorist acquaintances, who were responsible for the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts. He was, however, “cleared of terrorism conspiracy charges in the blasts”. (ANI)
- Sanjay Dutt is Samajwadi Party general secretary - Apr 02, 2009
- Samajwadi Party names Sanjay Dutt its new general secretary (Lead) - Apr 02, 2009
- Not linked to 1993 Mumbai blasts, Sanjay Dutt tells SC - Aug 14, 2012
- Sanjay Dutt signs on new role - Samajwadi Party general secretary (Second Lead) - Apr 02, 2009
- I hope court case gets over soon: Sanjay Dutt - Aug 10, 2011
- Supreme Court rejects plea against Sanjay Dutt - Jul 04, 2011
- I will never return to politics: Sanjay Dutt - Jul 26, 2011
- Warrant issued for Sanjay Dutt's arrest - May 28, 2011
- I met Dawood Ibrahim once: Sanjay Dutt - Aug 15, 2012
- CBI opposes relief for Sanjay Dutt - Aug 23, 2012
- Supreme Court to hear Sanjay Dutt''s petition on March 30 to stay conviction - Mar 06, 2009
- Supreme Court to hear Sanjay Dutt's petition to stay conviction - Mar 30, 2009
- Sanjay Dutt moves SC to allow him to contest elections - Mar 05, 2009
- Ayodhya demolition behind 1993 Mumbai blasts, apex court told - Nov 01, 2011
- SC reserves order on Sanjay Dutt's plea - Mar 30, 2009
Tags: acquaintances, actor turned politician, apex, apex court, aur, bhardwaj, conspiracy charges, general secretary, humiliation, illegal possession of firearms, jail term, mumbai blasts, mumbai bomb blasts, party nominee, sach, sanjay dutt, sanjay nirupam, shiv sena, sunil dutt, union law minister