Saddam Husseins yacht for saleNovember 3rd, 2008 - 11:46 am ICT by ANI
London , Nov 3 (ANI): Former Iraqi dictator Saddam Husseins palatial 270-foot yacht Ocean Breeze has been put on sale. Fastened at the southern French resort of Nice, the yacht is expected to fetch around 20 million pounds.
A senior Iraqi government official Ali al-Dabbagh said that the government hopes for a sale within the next few weeks.
Built in 1981, the Ocean Breeze is said to be modest in size compared with other megayachts.
However, it is decked out with the sort of familiar features that abounded in Saddams luxurious, gold-trimmed, palaces. It boasts of gold taps, a mini-operating theatre, a helicopter landing pad and a secret escape passageway.
Dabbagh said that an ownership dispute over the yacht had concluded in a French court.
The ruling was in favour of Iraq , The Telegraph quoted him as saying.
Saddam, whose decades-long regime came to an abrupt end after the US-led invasion in 2003 and who was hanged in 2006 for crimes against humanity, was known for a lavish lifestyle while many of his people lived in extreme hardship with the country under economic sanctions.
US officials estimated that Saddam and his family may have amassed a fortune of up to 25 billion pounds while he ruled Iraq .
Another yacht Al Mansur owned by Saddam was destroyed by US missiles in southern Iraq in 2003. (ANI)
- Iraq to help Libya in chemical weapons' disposal - Apr 13, 2012
- Iraq blames failure to sell Saddam's yacht on financial crisis - Jan 22, 2009
- 835 await execution in Iraqi prisons - Dec 14, 2010
- Osama's death not a big loss for Al Qaeda: Iraqi expert - May 02, 2011
- Iraq nominates oil expert as OPEC chief - Mar 06, 2012
- Iraq denies it seeks advanced Russian weapons - Apr 13, 2009
- Saddam's cousin 'Chemical Ali' is executed - Jan 25, 2010
- 70,000 killed in Iraq between 2004-2011 - Feb 29, 2012
- World's largest yacht is 590 feet long - Jun 13, 2012
- Iraq frees Saddam Hussein's interior minister - Jul 10, 2012
- Saddam Hussain's henchman Chemical Ali executed - Jan 25, 2010
- Iranian troops partially withdraw from Iraqi oil well - Dec 20, 2009
- Saddams luxurious yacht on sale for 17 million pounds - Dec 17, 2007
- Saddam Hussein's cousin "Chemical Ali" executed - Jan 25, 2010
- 900 bodies found in mass grave in Iraq - Jul 07, 2011
Tags: crimes against humanity, dabbagh, economic sanctions, extreme hardship, foot yacht, former iraqi dictator, french court, french resort, government official, helicopter landing, iraqi government, landing pad, lavish lifestyle, megayachts, ocean breeze, ownership dispute, palaces, passageway, southern iraq, yacht ocean