Sachin Tendulkar bats for conserving waterFebruary 21st, 2010 - 12:58 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Feb 21 (ANI): Master blaster Sachin Tendulkar has stressed on the need to save water as a part of his campaign on social issues concerning commoners at Mumbai.
As a part of this campaign, the Brihan-Mumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) unveiled a mass media campaign, and Tendulkar features in this bi-lingual (Hindi and Marathi) awareness campaign calling upon fellow citizens to save every drop of water.
Speaking on the occasion of the release of a CD of the awareness campaign, BMC Commissioner S Kshatriya dispelled certain recent newspaper reports, which pointed at possible hike in the rates of filtered water supply in the city.
Kshatriya said, “In some news papers there were reports that Brihan-Mumbai Municipal Corporation will hike the water tariff but we want to deny these reports when our city is facing acute water shortage and there is no water in adequate supply.”
“Then such an action is uncalled for and the need of the hour is to save every drop of water,” added Kshatriya.
In December last year civic authorities had cut down piped water supply by as much as 20 percent.
BMC has said that despite heavy rains, which lashed the city in July 2009, the water level in the catchment areas of the city’s six lakes has dropped.
The problem of water crisis is worst in slum areas as the residents of the area are forced to dig bore-wells around the periphery. Some are compelled to use the drainage water for household purposes. (ANI)
- Water crisis triggers violent protest in Mumbai - Feb 14, 2010
- Mumbai pins hopes on 'artificial' rains - Aug 16, 2012
- Two-day water cut in Mumbai from Monday - May 06, 2012
- Mumbai faces serious water shortage - Jul 19, 2012
- Tendulkar's bathroom score - one bucket of water for bath! - Jan 11, 2010
- Shun drugs, Tendulkar says - Jun 26, 2011
- Mumbai, Maharashtra face grave water crisis - Jun 25, 2012
- Water cuts to stay in Mumbai till Aug 1 - Jul 16, 2012
- Maharashtra left with only 13 percent water in reservoirs - Jun 27, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, disrupt traffic (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Save water campaign organized in Maharashtra - Jan 17, 2010
- Aerial seeding to enhance green cover in Mumbai! - Oct 15, 2010
- Water, water everywhere, but Mumbai remains thirsty - Mar 29, 2010
- 45 percent voting in Mumbai civic polls (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- 'Mumbai wasting crores on water management' - Jul 09, 2011
Tags: acute water shortage, adequate supply, awareness campaign, bmc, catchment areas, civic authorities, commoners, conserving water, drainage water, drop of water, heavy rains, household purposes, mass media campaign, master blaster, news papers, newspaper reports, six lakes, slum areas, water crisis, water tariff