Sachin Pilot launches mobile services at Holy Amarnath caveJuly 8th, 2010 - 10:30 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, July 8 (ANI): Union Minister of State for Communication and Information Technology (IT) Sachin Pilot launched BSNL’s mobile services at Holy Amarnath cave on Thursday.
Pilot reportedly made the first call to Jammu and Kashmir Governor N.N. Vohra from the Holy cave.
“The Department of Telecom would continue to improve infrastructure and services in Jammu and Kashmir,” said Pilot and congratulated BSNL for challenging task of providing connectivity to the shrine at a height of 13,500 ft.
“Over four lakh pilgrims who visit the shrine every year, especially the old and the infirm may stay connected to their families while undertaking the Yatra. Connectivity would also benefit local inhabitants, administration, and security forces and people visiting the area,” he added
He expressed gratitude to the Chief Minister, the State Administration and Shri Amarnath Shrine Board for their support and efforts.
Eleven towers have been put up at Baltal-I, Baltal-II, Baltal Base Camp, Noonwan, Lakipora, Betab Valley, Domail, Sangam/Holi Cave, Panchtarni, Chandanwari and Chandanwari Base Camp - of which some are on motorable road and some are on pony track.
At present, BSNL has 8.72 lakh mobile connections in Jammu and Kashmir and has 1299 mobile towers through which it is offering mobile services in the State.
BSNL provides connectivity to 95.22 percent of National Highways passing through Jammu and Kashmir, 73.32 percent of the State Highways and 100 percent railway routes.
284 more towers will be installed in the State in 2010-11 to ensure smooth and widespread coverage. Out of 6471 inhabited villages in the State, 5994 villages have already been provided with Village Public Telephones. (ANI)
- BSNL sets up mobile towers along Amarnath route - Jul 08, 2010
- Mobile services for Amarnath pilgrims from this year: Sachin Pilot - May 19, 2010
- Sachin Pilot promises mobile services for Amarnath pilgrims - May 19, 2010
- BSNL offers mobile coverage to Amarnath pilgrims (Lead) - Jun 23, 2011
- BSNL offers mobile coverage to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 23, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 26,000 head for shrine - Jul 09, 2011
- Heavy rains halt Amarnath pilgrimage - Jul 08, 2011
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Three lakh pilgrims register for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 04, 2012
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- No delay in June 25 start of Amarnath pilgrimage - Jun 12, 2012
- Rains cause temporary suspension of Amarnath yatra - Jul 20, 2010
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- 18,000 pilgrims proceed towards Amarnath cave shrine - Jun 30, 2011
Tags: amarnath cave, amarnath shrine, chief minister, holi, holy cave, jammu and kashmir, lakh, minister of state, mobile connections, mobile services, mobile towers, national highways, pony track, railway routes, shrine board, state administration, state highways, union minister, village public telephones, vohra