‘Russia’s next-generation warplane to fly this year’January 22nd, 2009 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
Astrakhan (Russia), Jan 22 (RIA Novosti) Russia’s first fifth-generation warplane, being developed in collaboration with India, will make its maiden flight before the end of this year, the deputy prime minister in charge of arms procurement has said.”We expect the plane to take to the skies no later than the end of this year,” Sergei Ivanov told a news conference after a meeting of the Military-Industrial Commission.
Earlier, plans were set for 2010 for the first tests of the new fighter, which will feature high maneuverability and stealth to ensure air superiority and precision in destroying ground and sea targets.
Russia’s advanced multirole fighter is being developed by Sukhoi, which is part of Russia’s United Aircraft Corporation (UAC), along with India’s Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), under a preliminary intergovernmental agreement signed in October 2007.
Russia and India will simultaneously develop two versions of the combat aircraft - a two-seat version to meet the requirements of India’s air superiority doctrine, and a single-seat version for the Russian Air Force.
The Russian version will be built at the Komsomolsk-on-Amur aircraft-manufacturing plant in Russia’s Far East.
Ivanov said the plant had almost completed the construction of a first prototype of the fifth-generation fighter, but it will undergo only durability tests on the ground at a research facility in Zhukovsky near Moscow.
However, a second prototype will be built and will take to the skies by the end of this year, he said.
Ivanov also said Wednesday that the aircraft manufacturing industry should review and adjust some testing programs and methods due to advanced nature of the new aircraft.
- Russia's 5G fighter makes first demonstration flight - Aug 18, 2011
- Russia's fifth-generation fighter jet makes maiden flight - Jan 29, 2010
- Su-30 fighter crashes in Russia, crew safe - Feb 28, 2012
- India-Russia combat jet may compete in South Korean tender - Aug 18, 2011
- Sukhoi T-50 stealth fighter undergoes trial - Aug 21, 2012
- Russia close to signing Su-35 fighter deal with China - Mar 06, 2012
- Russia to start 5th generation fighter tests in 2010: Deputy PM - Dec 08, 2009
- Russia schedules test flights of latest fighters in 2009 - Apr 04, 2008
- Will ground MiG-29 if needed: Indian Navy chief - Jun 24, 2011
- IAF chief to review aircraft projects in Russia - Aug 09, 2012
- Russian Su-35 fighter jet prototype destroyed during testing - Apr 27, 2009
- New stealth fighter jet for Russia, India - Aug 16, 2011
- HAL to make multirole aircraft with Russian firm (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- India test-flies naval version of LCA - Apr 27, 2012
- India to jointly develop 250 fifth generation fighters - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: air superiority, aircraft corporation, combat aircraft, deputy prime minister, durability tests, fifth generation, generation fighter, hindustan aeronautics limited, intergovernmental agreement, komsomolsk, maiden flight, maneuverability, new aircraft, ria novosti russia, russian air force, seat version, sergei ivanov, sukhoi, take to the skies, zhukovsky