Ruckus in Kashmir assembly over cricket scamMarch 13th, 2012 - 3:03 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, March 13 (IANS) Pandemonium prevailed in the Jammu and Kashmir assembly here Tuesday after ruling National Conference (NC) members objected to the name of their party chief, union minister Farooq Abdullah, being mentioned in an alleged multi-crore rupee scam in the Jammu Kashmir Cricket Association (JKCA), of which he is the president.
Members of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), who mentioned Abdullah’s name, countered by trooping to the speaker’s podium, shouting slogans against the NC and demanding a CBI probe into the “embezzlement” of funds.
They also contended that “such bungling cannot happen without the connivance of Farooq Abdullah and (JKCA chairman) Mohammad Aslam Goni”. Goni is Abdullah’s political advisor.
After protesting for more than half-an-hour during question hour, the PDP members walked out of the house.
PDP president Mehbooba Mufti said: “It was now an acknowledged fact that the scam has taken place. It is evident from the fact that Goni has filed an FIR in Srinagar against the JKCA officials who had opened bogus accounts.”
Mehbooba asked for a CBI probe into the scam. “If (organising committee chairman) Suresh Kalmadi could be booked for the scam in the Commonwealth Games, why can’t similar action be taken against those who were at the helm of affairs in the JKCA,” she asked.
- PDP demands CBI probe into Kashmir's cricket scam - Mar 12, 2012
- Kashmir cricket body lodges report with police - Mar 10, 2012
- I will quit politics if graft charges proved: Farooq - Mar 27, 2012
- JKCA internal probe clears Abdullah of hand in scam - Jul 18, 2012
- 'Farooq doesn't handle J&K; cricket finances' - Mar 12, 2012
- JKCA members want Farooq Abdullah to order CBI probe - Mar 21, 2012
- Farooq Abdullah orders in-house probe into JKCA fund scam - Apr 12, 2012
- National Conference worker's death rocks Kashmir assembly (Roundup) - Oct 03, 2011
- Centre will bring Lokpal bill: Farooq Abdullah - Mar 24, 2012
- Omar to serve defamation notice on Mehbooba Mufti - Oct 03, 2011
- PDP influencing eye-witnesses: Omar - Oct 08, 2011
- PDP stages protest march in Srinagar, demands Omar quit - Oct 05, 2011
- Hazare turning blind eye to corruption in Kashmir: Mehbooba - Oct 07, 2011
- Don't speculate over Kashmir custodial death: Congress - Oct 06, 2011
- Chaos in Kashmir assembly over NC worker's death - Oct 03, 2011
Tags: acknowledged fact, cbi probe, commonwealth games, connivance, cricket association, embezzlement, farooq abdullah, goni goni, jammu kashmir, mehbooba mufti, mohammad aslam, nc members, organising committee, pandemonium, party chief, pdp, ruckus, srinagar, suresh kalmadi, union minister