Ruchika case: Rathore’s bail plea extended till January 25January 18th, 2010 - 12:50 pm ICT by ANI
Panchkula, Jan 18 (ANI): The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Monday extended the two anticipatory bail applications and a petition demanding cancellation of abetment to suicide charges against former Haryana Director General of Police (DGP) SPS Rathore in connection with the Ruchika Girhotra molestation case till January 25.
The High Court had earlier on January 12 rejected the interim bail plea of Rathore, and asked the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to file its reply in this case by January 18.The CBI had on January 12 taken over the case and begun its investigation into all the three fresh FIRs filed against Rathore, leveling various allegations, including attempt to murder, abetment to suicide and doctoring the post mortem report and other documents.
A CBI team had on January 15 called upon Ruchika’s father Subhash Chander Girhotra along with her friend Aradhana’s father Anand Prakash at their Chandigarh camp office, and held a formal interaction with them in order to acquaint themselves with the case.
The former cop has been charged for allegedly molesting 14-year old teenager Ruchika Girhotra, a budding young tennis star in 1990s.
Rathore has three cases pending against him in the court; all filed by Ruchika’s family and friends.Ruchika’s family lawyer Pankaj Bharadwaj had earlier filed two FIRs against Rathore.
The lawyer had claimed that the first FIR was filed for forging documents like the inquest report and the other for illegal detention of Ruchika’s brother, Ashu, who was kept in illegal detention at the behest of Rathore and given tortures.
The third case is that of abetment to suicide against him. The family has claimed that Ruchika was expelled from Sacred Heart Convent in Chandigarh due to Rathore’s influence.
Teenager Ruchika had killed herself three years after the incident by drinking poison.
The CBI is investigating whether Rathore drove Ruchika to suicide after she filed molestation charges. An inquiry by the Chandigarh administration has found that Ruchika was unfairly expelled from her school in 1990. The report also concluded that the expulsion took place under pressure from “an external influence”.
The Special CBI court had earlier held the former cop guilty under Section 354 IPC and sentenced him to six months imprisonment and had imposed a fine of Rs 1,000 on him. (ANI)
- Ruchika case: High Court grants interim bail to Rathore - Jan 25, 2010
- Ruchika case: CBI to question Rathore - Jan 22, 2010
- Ruchika case: High Court to hear Rathore's bail plea - Jan 18, 2010
- Ruchika case: High Court to hear Rathore's bail petition - Jan 25, 2010
- Unidentified assailant punched and stabbed Rathore, is arrested - Feb 08, 2010
- Ruchika case: CBI to meet Ruchika's father - Jan 15, 2010
- Ruchika case proceedings to be heard in-camera - Feb 08, 2010
- Ruchika case: Punjab and Haryana High Court seeks details of Rathore's promotion - Nov 17, 2010
- Ruchika case: Rathore's bail plea hearing today - Feb 08, 2010
- Ruchika case hearing adjourned till April 5 - Feb 15, 2010
- Rathore attacked by Ahmedabad resident - Feb 08, 2010
- Court to pronounce verdict in Ruchika molestation case today - May 20, 2010
- Complainant opposes Rathore's bail, seeks judicial probe - Nov 11, 2010
- Submit probe report in Rathore case, court tells CBI - Nov 17, 2010
- Ruchika case: Court dismisses Rathore's bail petition - Jan 08, 2010
Tags: allegations, anand prakash, ashu, bail plea, behest, cbi team, central bureau of investigation, family and friends, family lawyer, fir, firs, formal interaction, illegal detention, inquest report, molestation charges, panchkula, post mortem report, punjab and haryana high court, sacred heart convent, tennis star