Rubina’s father rubbishes allegation of selling daughterApril 19th, 2009 - 9:44 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Apr 19 (ANI): Father of child actor Rubina Ali Qureshi of the Oscar winning movie ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ fame has denied media reports that he put his daughter ever on sale.
A British newspaper had reported that Rafiq Qureshi tried to sell off his nine-year old daughter for adoption to a family from Middle East for nearly 200,000 pounds to escape the Mumbai slums.
Qureshi, while talking to reporters in Mumbai claimed that all this was nothing but a trap laid out for him.
“All these accusations on me are wrong. They (the Sheikh couple) wanted to set a trap around me and take my child. This has been happening from a long time now. Earlier my first wife also created several problems to take my child away from me. I do not know who is behind all this, ” said Qureshi.
“We just went to meet them. We thought they have come from abroad and have requested us a lot, so we went to meet them. I am a simple man and I am not greedy. I never wanted to go and meet them firstly. But they created an emotional trap saying that wife of Sheikh (Arab national) did not have a child so wanted to meet my children. They don’t have a child but have lot of money and they were trying to buy me with money,” he added.
Rubina also denied the reports and said that his father was speaking the truth.
“Whatever my dad is saying is right,” said Rubina Ali.
Rubina had played young Latika in British director Danny Boyle’s film that picked up eight Oscars.
Rubina, along with other child actors in the film, was flown to Los Angeles for the awards ceremony. (ANI)
- Fairytale ride continues for 'Slumdog Millionaire' children - Mar 22, 2012
- Slumdog Millionaire's child star's family home destroyed in huge fire - Mar 05, 2011
- 'Slumdog' star Rubina's mom drags her, ex-husband to police - Apr 19, 2009
- Slumdog star Rubina Ali shoots Schweppes ad with Nicole Kidman - May 07, 2009
- An NRI comes forward to help slum dog kid with her education - Apr 21, 2009
- Rubina's estranged mom shocked over 'sale' reports - Apr 19, 2009
- Father of Slumdog star Rubina Ali arrested - Apr 21, 2009
- Bandra's 'Millionaire' star remains at neighbour's mercy - Mar 07, 2011
- 'Slumdog' star Rubina up for sale, father asks for 200,000 pounds - Apr 19, 2009
- 'Slumdog' kids back in shanties - with Oscar dreams - Mar 02, 2011
- All gone in fire, grieves 'Slumdog' star Rubina Ali - Mar 05, 2011
- "Slumdog Millionaire" child actress Rubina Ali loses home in a fire - Mar 08, 2011
- From slums to queen of suburbs, Rubina Ali goes places (With Image) - Oct 16, 2011
- 'Slumdog' star Rubina's case closed, father gets clean chit - Apr 26, 2009
- Slumdog's Rubina to be homeless soon - Oct 07, 2009
Tags: accusations, adoption, ali qureshi, allegation, arab, awards ceremony, british director, child actor, child actors, dad, director danny boyle, fame, first wife, latika, millionaire, mumbai slums, oscars, rubina, simple man, speaking the truth