RSS chief K S Sudarshan announces retirementMarch 21st, 2009 - 3:02 pm ICT by ANI
Nagpur, Mar 21 (ANI): Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RRS) chief K S Sudarshan today announced his retirement from the post of party chief, paving way for Mohan Bhagwat’’s elevation to the top post.
Sudarshan’’s decision came as a three-day conclave of the RSS has begun here to chalk out the strategy for the upcoming general elections.
Kuppahalli Sitaramayya Sudarshan was nine when he first attended an RSS shakha. He was appointed as a pracharak in 1954.
Only full-time members of RSS can become pracharaks. His first posting as a pracharak was in Raigarh district. In 1964, he was made the prant pracharak of Madhya Bharat at a fairly young age.
In 1969, he was appointed convener of the heads of All-India Organisations”. This was followed by a stint in the North-East (1977) and he took over as the chief of the Boudhik Cell (the RSS think-tank) two years later.
Since 1990, Sudarshan has been a joint general secretary of the organisation. He has the rare distinction of having held both posts of sharirik (physical exercises) and baudhik (intellectual) pramukh (chief) on different occasions. (ANI)
- Seven injured in clash of Congress, RSS workers in Ranchi - Nov 16, 2010
- Bhagwat not satisfied with Sangh membership in Bengal - Jan 23, 2010
- Seven hurt in Congress, RSS workers' clash in Ranchi (Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- K.S. Sudarshan traced near his residence (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Mohan Bhagwat: A vet and RSS pracharak for over 30 years (Profile) - Mar 21, 2009
- Mohan Bhagwat is new RSS chief, Sudarshan quits (Lead, Chanding dateline) - Mar 21, 2009
- Our relation with BJP is that of mother and child: Bhagwat - Aug 28, 2009
- RSS to sack vice-chief Mohan Bhagwat for ISI involvement - Mar 12, 2009
- RSS backs Narendra Modi as prime ministerial candidate - Jun 20, 2012
- RSS: A journey of 83 long years - Mar 22, 2009
- RSS changing with times: Bhagwat - Aug 28, 2009
- RSS justifies chief's statement on PM candidate (Lead, superseding previous story) - Jun 20, 2012
- RSS justifies chief's statement on prime ministerial candidate (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- RSS chief to address 20,000 swayamsevaks in Bihar - Dec 24, 2009
- Party will decide PM candidate: Advani - Oct 10, 2011
Tags: bhagwat, bharat, conclave, elevation, full time, general elections, general secretary, mohan, occasions, organisations, party chief, physical exercises, rare distinction, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, retirement, rrs, rss chief, s sudarshan, stint, time members