Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra named ”World’’s Best”November 21st, 2008 - 2:17 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 21 (ANI): The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, the best-known and most respected symphony orchestra of the Netherlands, has topped a new poll of the ”World’’s Best Orchestra”.
The orchestra is named for the Concertgebouw (concert hall) in Amsterdam, from which it is based, reports Times Online.
Its ”Royal” title was conferred upon the orchestra in 1988 by Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.
The mighty Berlin Philharmonic and the refined Vienna Philharmonic are second and third respectively, according to a panel of leading international critics.
The London Symphony Orchestra landed the fourth spot and Chicago Symphony Orchestra rounded off the top five.
The poll was conducted by Gramophone, the classical music magazine, and limited to modern romantic orchestras.
The eleven-strong panel included three British critics from the magazine, two Americans, two Asians and one each from Le Monde (France), Die Welt (Germany), De Telegraaf (the Nether-lands) and Die Presse (Austria).
James Inverne, the editor of Gramophone, said that the aim had been to compile a selection that was not “patriotic or parochial.
The survey is published in the December issue of Gramophone.
The top 10 are:
1 Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
2 Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
3 Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
4 London Symphony Orchestra
5 Chicago Symphony Orchestra
6 Bavarian Radio Symphony
7 Cleveland Orchestra
8 Los Angeles Philharmonic
9 Budapest Festival Orchestra
10 Dresden Staatskapelle (ANI)
- Music conductor Zubin Mehta honored with star on Hollywood Walk of Fame - Mar 02, 2011
- Royal Philharmonic Orchestra helps science by playing to plants - Mar 24, 2011
- 53rd Annual Grammy Awards Winners List - Feb 14, 2011
- Sting to go on US tour with Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra - Feb 27, 2010
- Pt. Ravi Shankar Presents His First Western Symphony In London - Jul 03, 2010
- 60 Minutes: Gustavo Dudamel Has A Musical Mission - May 17, 2010
- Symphony Orchestra Of India Debuts In The International Market - Jun 14, 2010
- Royal Philharmonic Orchestra gives a performance for plants - Mar 24, 2011
- Singing is like flying: Sting (Interview) - Oct 08, 2010
- Tagore in symphony with Bach and Beethoven - in Germany - Apr 17, 2012
- YouTube global symphony to showcase Indian traditional music - Jan 17, 2009
- Dutch queen tours Abu Dhabi mosque - Jan 09, 2012
- Dynamo Dresden excluded from German Cup soccer - Nov 25, 2011
- Zubin Mehta keen to perform in Jammu and Kashmir - Jul 23, 2012
- Bayern drop points, Dortmund extend lead in Bundesliga - Feb 19, 2012
Tags: berlin philharmonic orchestra, british critics, budapest festival orchestra, chicago symphony orchestra, classical music magazine, cleveland orchestra, de telegraaf, die welt, dresden staatskapelle, international critics, london symphony orchestra, los angeles philharmonic, nether lands, new poll, queen beatrix, queen beatrix of the netherlands, radio symphony, royal concertgebouw orchestra, symphony 7, vienna philharmonic orchestra