Roofless Slumdog kids express desire to keep both the housesMay 30th, 2009 - 8:34 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, May 30(ANI): On being offered houses by Maharashtra government and the ‘Jai Ho’ trust, the child actors of Oscar winning film ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ have expressed their desire to keep both the houses offered to them.
The Maharashtra government and Jai Ho trust had offered houses to Rubina Ali and Azharrudin Ismail after their slums were demolished by civic authorities.
“I want both the MHADA house and the ‘Jai Ho’ trust house. The house given by ‘Jai Ho’ trust is very nice. It is Santacruz and has bathroom, kitchen and is very big, I liked it a lot,” said Azharuddin.
However, the state authorities have clarified that the kids cannot keep both the houses, and they will have to choose between houses offered to them by the trust and the Maharashtra government.
Though Rubina expressed some concern about the government house being away from her school, she said she would take it anyway.
“I’ll take it but what they (state authorities) are giving is in very far off place. I’ll have to travel a long distance to come to my school here,” said Rubina.
While the kids want to keep both the houses, the parents are yet to decide as to which house to take.
“Whatever we get is acceptable to us. The government is also giving us rooms that we have not refused. I had gone to talk to the authorities and asked them for some time. Now Azhar’s family and my family, we will sit together and decide what to do,” said Rafiq Shaikh, Rubina’s father. (ANI)
- From slums to queen of suburbs, Rubina Ali goes places (With Image) - Oct 16, 2011
- Fairytale ride continues for 'Slumdog Millionaire' children - Mar 22, 2012
- 'Slumdog...' star Azharuddin to tell his story in English - Jun 13, 2010
- 'Slumdog' kids back in shanties - with Oscar dreams - Mar 02, 2011
- Bandra's 'Millionaire' star remains at neighbour's mercy - Mar 07, 2011
- 'Slumdog' kid's father slams Danny Boyle - May 27, 2009
- 'Slumdog' actor Rubina gets New Year flat gift from Danny Boyle - Dec 31, 2009
- Slumdog Kid gets a roof on his head - Jul 07, 2009
- Oscar fame kids may be gifted government flats in Mumbai - Feb 24, 2009
- Slumdog's 'Jai Ho' Trust hires social worker to look after Rubina Ali - Apr 22, 2009
- Boyle withholds Jai Ho trust fund after Slumdog kids' truancy reports - Nov 19, 2009
- 'Slumdog...' child-stars welcome to support us: Mumbai Congress - Mar 05, 2009
- 'Slumdog Millionaire' kid Azharuddin to move to a flat - Jun 11, 2009
- Child star Rubina still in slum, but Marathi autobiography ready (With Images) - Jun 12, 2010
- Slumdog's Rubina to be homeless soon - Oct 07, 2009