Ronen Sen to appear before Rajya Sabha Privileges CommitteeNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:15 am ICT by admin
Ronen, who had appeared before the Privileges Committee of the Lok Sabha on Thursday, apologised for his ‘headless chickens’ remark.
Sen told the committee that his remark was not aimed at Parliamentarians and it was off the record comment.
The Lok Sabha committee is unlikely to proceed against him any further.
Sen’s remark to a news portal, which was published on August 20, created a furore in the Parliament.
Sen in an interview to Rediff.com had said, “It has been approved here (in Washington, DC) by the President, and there (in New Delhi) it’s been approved by the Indian cabinet. So why do you have all this running around like headless chicken, looking for a comment here or comment there, and these little storms in a tea-cup?”
However, he later apologised, and said those ‘informal’ remarks were meant to mean journalists and not the politicians.
Earlier, a meeting presided over by Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman K Rahman Khan took the decision to summon Sen before the Upper House’s Privileges Committee.
Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee had also referred the issue to the Committee headed by Congress MP V Kishorechandra Deo after receipt of a reply by the External Affairs Ministry. (ANI)
- Ronen Sen tenders unqualified apology before RS Privileges Committee - Nov 14, 2007
- LS Privileges Committee recommends letting off Ronen Sen with a reprimand - Nov 16, 2007
- Ronen Sen apologises before Parliamentary Privileges Committee - Nov 14, 2007
- Parliament Privileges panels summon Ronen Sen - Nov 14, 2007
- WikiLeaks: Walkout in Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha adjourned (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Parliament considering privilege motions against Bedi, Om Puri - Aug 29, 2011
- Ronen Sen to appear before Parliamentary committee - Nov 14, 2007
- Ronen Sen to appear before Parliamentary committee tomorrow - Nov 14, 2007
- Parliament adjourned for the day over CAG report (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Parliament adopts motion of thanks to president's address - Mar 20, 2012
- Soumitra Sen accepts Lok Sabha's stand - Sep 06, 2011
- Pakistan MPs to visit India for SAARC meet - Jul 06, 2011
- Rajya Sabha disrupted as BJP targets Sonia Gandhi (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- JPC set up to probe 2G spectrum, telecom policy (Roundup) - Feb 24, 2011
- Lok Sabha drops impeachment motion against Sen - Sep 05, 2011
Tags: deputy chairman, external affairs ministry, furore, headless chicken, headless chickens, indian cabinet, informal remarks, Lok Sabha, privileges committee, rajya sabha, rediff, reply, ronen, somnath, tea cup, upper house