Robin Williams Dead Poet Society voted Best Film Set In School EverNovember 26th, 2008 - 6:36 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Nov 26 (ANI): Robin Williams 1989 flick Dead Poets Society, the tale of an English class changed irrevocably by an inspirational teacher, has been voted the Best Film Set In School Ever.
The flick topped the poll after Teachers TV received nearly 2,500 votes from teachers, students and pupils on over 100 movies to compile a list of the top ten school-based films.
Northern classic Kes came second while School of Rock, Richard Linklater’’s story of a stuffy prep school enlivened by Jack Black’’s aspiring musician posing as a substitute teacher, finished third, followed by The Breakfast Club in fourth place.
History Boys rounded off the top five.
However Dr Ken Fox, of the department of media at Canterbury Christ Church University, contributed to the Teachers TV programme and argued his favorite school film Gregory’’s Girl placed at the 9 th place in the poll- should have been placed higher than ninth in the poll.
“It is difficult not to break into a smile every time I think of Gregory’’s Girl,It is such a wonderful, gentle comedy of adolescent manners. What makes the film such a great school movie is that in the best sense Gregory’’s Girl is less about school as an institution and more about how school is part of the network of contact points for the adolescent hormonal revolution to take place, Contactmusic quoted Dr. Fox, as saying.
“The film is done with such wit and charm that it works like a bittersweet memory of our own secondary school days when unrequited love was the only thing on the curriculum, Dr. Fox added.
The top 10 Best Films Set In School Ever are:
1 Dead Poets” Society
3 School of Rock
4 The Breakfast Club
5 History Boys
6 To Sir With Love
8 Ferris Bueller’’s Day Off
9 Gregory’’s Girl
10 The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. (ANI)
- B'wood zooms its lens on teacher-student bonding - Sep 03, 2011
- Diabetes screening in schools, says Azad - May 16, 2012
- Program developed to help children say 'no' to alcohol, substance abuse - Apr 20, 2011
- Jack Black And Rock Director Reteam - Aug 07, 2010
- Impromptu performances not Juhi's cup of tea (Movie Snippets) - Nov 23, 2011
- Centre to improve school education launched - Aug 09, 2012
- FOX Picks Up Napoleon Dynamite TV Series - Oct 13, 2010
- Brangelina named 'World's Sexiest Film Stars' - Aug 12, 2010
- 12 Andhra students hospitalized after corporal punishment - Apr 03, 2012
- John Hughes Remembered At 2010 Oscars - Mar 09, 2010
- The Voyage Of Dawn Treader: The Travel Adventure Entice Overseas Audience - Dec 13, 2010
- 'Prarthane' entertains and educates; must watch (Kannada Movie Review) - Jan 08, 2012
- Cameron Diaz makes sure that 'Bad Teacher' lives up to its name - Jun 24, 2011
- Sibal calls for attention on adolescents - Mar 01, 2011
- 98 percent of parents feel youth should receive sex-ed from them: US study - Jan 09, 2011
Tags: aspiring musician, best films, canterbury christ church, canterbury christ church university, christ church university, contactmusic, dead poet society, dead poets society, dr fox, favorite school, ferris bueller, gentle comedy, inspirational teacher, ken fox, miss jean brodie, place history, prime of miss jean brodie, richard linklater, school film, th place