Road improvement drive in full swing in UPMarch 27th, 2009 - 7:35 pm ICT by ANI
Raiganj (Uttar Pradesh), Mar 27 (ANI): Keen to make travel easier for rural folk in Uttar Pradesh, the authorities are a executing road development project in Raiganj Village near Uttar Pradesh Gorakhpur District.
Funding from the project is coming from the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (Prime Minister’s Village Road Scheme).
The Central Government launched the scheme in 2000-01 with an aim to link every village to the main road.
Chandravati Devi, the head of Raiganj village, said villagers are benefiting from the project.
“After the construction of the roads, the villagers have benefited a lot. Now, villagers can easily go to Gorakhpur, which was earlier, cut off from our village. Besides, students the business community has also benefited from this scheme,” Chandravati Devi claimed.
Rajesh Kumar Morya, a resident of the village, also expressed his happiness over the fact that he can now reach his school in time.
The Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) was launched to provide connectivity to remote and isolated villages.
The government is keen on setting high and uniform technical and management standards and facilitating policy development and planning at State level in order to ensure sustainable management of the rural roads network.
In the first phase, habitations (hamlets) of population of 1000 (500 in the case of Hill States, tribal and Desert areas) and above will be covered. In the second phase habitations of population of 500 (250 in the case of Hill States ,tribal and Desert areas ) will be covered.
About 3,68,000 kilometer of new road construction and 3,70,000 kilometres of upgradation/renewal is expected to be done at a cost of about 26 billion dollars. (ANI)
- Govt. grants aid for construction of rural roads in Manipur - Feb 07, 2011
- Rural ministry working on village roads scheme, says Ramesh - May 19, 2012
- 'More autonomy for states to implement rural schemes' - Apr 08, 2012
- Bihar to get Rs.13.35 Crores for building roads in rural areas - Dec 07, 2009
- Centre gives Rs.117 crore to six states for rural roads - Oct 01, 2010
- Will tailor rural roads scheme for northeast: Ramesh (Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
- Will tailor rural roads scheme for northeast: Ramesh - Feb 12, 2012
- Rs.217 crore central funds for Bihar's rural roads - Sep 23, 2010
- Mayawati muisused funds for rural health, says PM - Feb 17, 2012
- Assam's Samuapara village benefits from development projects - Sep 26, 2010
- Collectors in Maoist areas want to push rural roads project: Ramesh (Lead) - Sep 10, 2011
- Ramesh writes to Sinha, refutes charges of discrimination - Aug 23, 2012
- 69 percent households gain from rural job scheme - Apr 17, 2011
- Tainted Chhattisgarh engineer worth Rs.4 crore - Jun 22, 2011
- Chhattisgarh probes engineer's donation to Maoists - Feb 21, 2011
Tags: aim, billion dollars, business community, central government, desert areas, full swing, hamlets, hill states, kilometres, management standards, pmgsy, road construction, road improvement, road scheme, roads network, rural roads, second phase, sustainable management, uttar pradesh, yojana