RLD BJP alliance will counter SP-BSP politics in UP: Rajnath SinghMarch 2nd, 2009 - 6:28 pm ICT by ANI
By Naveen Kapoor
New Delhi, Mar.2 (ANI): With the Bharatiya Janata Party and the Rashtriya Lok Dal arriving at a seat sharing arrangement in Western Uttar Pradesh, BJP President Rajnath Singh believes the alliance will act as a counterweight to the politics of the Samajwadi Party and the Bahujan Samaj Party.
Neither the BJP nor the RLD have disclosed the seat sharing formula. They claim it is being worked out and will only be announced after taking stock of social combinations and opponents.
” The saffron party is willing to have understanding on seven to eight seats, keeping in view the cast combinations i.e. the Thakurs, Kurmis , Brahmins and OBCs,” said sources in the BJP.
The BJP had initially offered six seats - in the Jat-dominated western UP - to the RLD. These included Baghpat, which is Ajit Singh’’s stronghold, Muzaffarnagar, Mathura, Amroha, Nagina and Hathras.
Spin doctors and strategists in the BJP believe the alliance will snatch some of the votes going to the Congress-Samajwadi Party combine, at least in the urban pockets. They also see themselves splitting the Muslim vote in the state. They believe that if the party has to revive its fortunes in the state, it has to do so in Western Uttar Pradesh.
The BJP also admits that a Congress-Samajwadi Party electoral alliance will have no impact in Western Uttar Pradesh, but could have a bearing on the overall results.
The RLD won three seats in the 2004 general elections against the ten won by the BJP in Uttar Pradesh.
The inclusion of Ajit Singh in the NDA comes just a day after the Trinamool Congress left the combine. (ANI)
- Brisk polling in round six of UP polls (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Steady, brisk polling in round 6 of UP polls (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Ajit Singh - a political acrobat - Dec 18, 2011
- Ajit Singh - a political acrobat (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- With Lucknow in mind, Ajit Singh gets civil aviation (Roundup) - Dec 18, 2011
- BJP, RLD set for pre-poll alliance in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 06, 2009
- High voter turnout in sixth phase too (Evening Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Congress's Muslim card, Ajit Singh's Jat clout on test in Tuesday's poll (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- On Delhi's edge, BSP holds sway (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Penultimate round of UP polls on Tuesday - Feb 27, 2012
- BJP announces alliance with RLD - Mar 02, 2009
- RLD joins hands with Congress for Uttar Pradesh polls - Dec 11, 2011
- Rahul-Ajit combo try to whip up magic in Meerut (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- 60 percent turnout in incident-free 6th round of UP poll (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Hardly a contest in Mant seat - May 30, 2012
Tags: ajit singh, bahujan samaj party, bharatiya janata party, bjp president, brahmins, counterweight, electoral alliance, general elections, jat, nagina, naveen, rajnath singh, saffron party, Samajwadi Party, spin doctors, strategists, stronghold, taking stock, trinamool congress, western uttar pradesh