RJD justifies Somnath’’s fury over unruly parliamentariansFebruary 20th, 2009 - 10:11 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb.20 (ANI): Rashtriya Janata Dal leader and Union Railway Minister Lalu Prasad Yadav on Friday described the Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee’’s reprimand of some Members of Parliament over their unruly behavior on Thursday, as justified.
“Somnath Da is the guardian of the House. Speaker is like a guardian. He is pained. He wants that the House runs in proper manner. Members should also react in a guarded manner,” said Lalu Prasad Yadav, the Railway minister and Rashtriya Janata Dal leader while talking to newsmen outside Parliament on Friday.
RJD’’s vice president and Union Minister Raghuvansh Prasad Singh said, “The Speaker’’s anger is justified. He faces difficulty in conducting the affairs in the House due to frequent obstructions and hence it is only natural for him to get angry.”
However, former Rajya Sabha Vice-Chairman Najma Heptullah on Friday opposed Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee’’s views on agitating MPs, saying that the Speaker’’s role is like a referee in a match.
“The Speaker is like a referee to ensure that the match goes on smoothly,” Heptullah said.
Addressing mediapersons here, Heptullah said that agitations are part and parcel of democracy and an MP is entitled to agitate.
She recalled her experience of 17 years as vice-chairman of the House and said she had faced worse situations than what happened yesterday, but never said what Chatterjee had said.
Chatterjee said on Thursday that MPs did not deserve even one paisa of public money for their kind of protests in the House. (ANI)
- Heptullah opposes Chatterjees stand on agitating MPs - Feb 20, 2009
- We will support Congress choice for president: Lalu Prasad - Jun 14, 2012
- Speaker pulls up Sharad Yadav - Aug 17, 2012
- Could Mulayam be persuaded to accept Pranab as president? - Jun 14, 2012
- NDA to finalise vice presidential nominee Monday - Jul 15, 2012
- Pranab helps break deadlock over MPs' salary hike (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- Ansari files nomination for vice president (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Uproar in house interrupts Mamata's rail budget - Feb 25, 2011
- Time line of cash-for-vote scandal - Mar 17, 2011
- After Pranab, Mamata grabs eyeballs at central hall (Sidelights) - Jul 25, 2012
- MPs queue up to vote for vice president (Second Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Clamour for minority quota in Lokpal, Lok Sabha disrupted (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Cornered Congress to 'reach out' to smaller parties (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- JD-U joins SP, RJD to protest women's bill - Mar 08, 2010
- Lok Sabha disrupted ahead of Lokpal bill - Dec 22, 2011
Tags: 17 years, house speaker, lalu prasad yadav, Lok Sabha, members of parliament, najma heptullah, New Delhi, newsmen, paisa, parliamentarians, proper manner, protests, public money, railway minister, referee, reprimand, somnath chatterjee, union minister, unruly behavior, vice chairman