Rizwanur’s family move High Court against Chakraborty CommisionNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:50 am ICT by admin
Rehman’s mother Keshwar Jahan and his elder brother Rukbanur said that the High Court has already ordered a CBI probe, so there is no point in continuing with the Chakraborty inquiry commission.
Their counsel Kalyan Banerjee also said that the Rizwan death was a matter of investigation by a probe agency.
“Moreover, the inquiry commission has no right to question IPS officials, who are appointed by the Centre. The matter is likely to come up before a vacation bench on November 1,” Banerjee said.
Rizawanur’s body was found on the railway tracks between Bidhannagar Road and Dum Dum Junction on September 21, almost a month after his marriage to Priyanka Todi, daughter of a Hindu businessman.
The investigation agency has registered an FIR against Ashok Todi and others under Section 302 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
The West Bengal Government on October 17, ordered the transfer of top police officials of the State including, Kolkata Police Commissioner Prasun Mukherjee.
Mukherjee, and his two deputies - Gyanwant Singh and Ajay Kumar, along with Assistant Commissioner of the Anti-Rowdy section Sukanti Chakraborty and Sub-Inspector Krishnendu Ghosh were handed transfer orders as there were allegations against them of harassing Rizwanur.
According to media reports, some police officers, who were allegedly influenced by Todi, pressurised Rizwanur to end his marriage with Priyanka.
The CBI has been asked to submit its report in next two months. (ANI)
- Rizwanur case: Kolkata court directs framing of suicide charges against Todi - Apr 21, 2011
- Rizwan case: Calcutta HC directs CBI to initiate fresh probe - May 18, 2010
- Rizwanur case: CBI moves Supreme Court, challenges Calcutta High Court's order - Sep 01, 2010
- Rizwanur case: Calcutta High Court to frame charges against Todi - Mar 21, 2011
- Put Ashok Todi to trial in Rizwanur case: Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- CBI prays for abetment to suicide in Rizwanur case - Mar 21, 2011
- Put Ashok Todi to trial for Rizwanur murder: Supreme Court - Mar 01, 2011
- Put Todi to trial for Rizwanur death: Supreme Court (Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- Court asks CBI to conduct fresh probe into Rizwanur death - May 18, 2010
- Supreme Court rejects reinvestigation in Rizwanur murder case - Mar 01, 2011
- Punish Kolkata cops, Rizwanur's mother tells apex court (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Rizwanur case: Supreme Court to decide on CBI probe - Mar 01, 2011
- Court orders CBI to probe Rizwanur death afresh (Lead) - May 18, 2010
- Kolkata cops guilty, Rizwanur's mother tells apex court - Feb 22, 2011
- Rizwanur Rehman death: Apex court questions Bengal, Todi - Oct 18, 2010