Rights group wants Andhra’s centuries-old ’stick fight’ ritual to stopNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:40 am ICT by admin
Scores of people get injured in the fight. There have also been instances in which people got killed.
Taking cognizance of this barbaric tradition, the SHRC has ordered a probe into the matter.
SHRC Secretary S Chellappa visited the village earlier this month and submitted a report.
The commission has also issued a series of directives to the District Collector and the Superintendent of Police.
“We have conducted regular raids to confiscate the sticks being used in this ritual. The potential trouble makers are being identified and arrested,” said Shankarbrat Bagchi, Superintendent of Police, Kurnool.
The SHRC has asked the District Collector to educate and convince the villagers to take the God’s idol through negotiations or through lottery system or by rotation, instead of fighting. (ANI)
- Seventy injured in annual bloody sport in Andhra - Oct 07, 2011
- Protests against finance firms as two more commit suicide - Oct 11, 2010
- Himachal deity gets back role in Dussehra festival - May 19, 2012
- Rights panel orders arrest of senior Kashmir cop (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Kashmir rights panel orders arrest of senior cop - Dec 20, 2011
- Authorities sent notices on Madhya Pradesh farmer suicides - Jan 12, 2011
- Send 'child saint' to school, rules Andhra rights panel - Jun 14, 2010
- Invited to Kullu Dussehra: 250 deities! - Sep 29, 2011
- Court rejects plea for CBI probe; Doctor cremated (Roundup) - Jun 24, 2011
- Notice issued to LAWDA over Srinagar farmhouse - Apr 25, 2012
- Here Ravana worshipped on Dussehra! - Oct 05, 2011
- Week-long Kullu Dussehra festivity begins - Oct 06, 2011
- Women's hostel opened in corrupt official's seized house - Jun 15, 2012
- Supreme Court seeks report on probe into Azad killing (Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- Four girls drown while immersing idol - Jun 15, 2010