Rhino poaching sparks protest in AssamFebruary 10th, 2008 - 4:56 pm ICT by admin
Guwahati, Feb 10 (ANI): The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) came out on streets on Saturday to protests against recent killings of rhinos at the Kaziranga National Park in Assam.
The protesters were showing their angst at the recent spur in poaching incidents at the national park.
The protesters blamed the Bangladeshi immigrants who have encroached the forestland at Kaziranga for the poaching incidents.
They also burnt an effigy of the State Forest Minister Raqib-ul-Hussain for showing apathy towards the issue.
“Bangladeshis have encroached the forest land at Kaziranga and they are frequently indulge in poaching activities. Despite our repeated appeals to the Government to remove them from the area, nothing has been done so far, President of BJPs Assam Unit Ramen Deka said.
The Forest Minister is doing nothing to safeguard the rhinos and we severely condemn this act,” he added.
According to the authorities, five rhinos have been killed since January this year, which has taken the toll to 28 since 2007.
Experts believe that the rhino horns, which are purported to have aphrodisiac properties, are smuggled to China and other Asian markets.
Buyers from Middle East also use the horns to make ornamental dagger handles. Estimates suggest rhino horns can sell for up to 35,000 dollars per kilogram. (ANI)
- One-horned rhino killed in Kaziranga park - Oct 28, 2010
- Two poachers shot dead in Kaziranga - Dec 13, 2010
- Commandos trained by NSG to combat poachers - Jun 25, 2010
- Four Kaziranga rhinos to be released in Manas - Feb 19, 2012
- BSF to check rhino poaching in Kaziranga - Feb 25, 2010
- Two poachers killed in Kaziranga, rhino found dead (Lead) - Dec 13, 2010
- One-horned rhino killed in Assam - May 23, 2012
- Rhino found dead in Kaziranga - Jan 28, 2010
- Poachers kill two rhinos in Kaziranga - Dec 22, 2009
- Rhino poached in Kaziranga National Park - Apr 12, 2012
- Assam wildlife group protests removal of rhino's horn - Mar 25, 2012
- Now dogs to the rescue of Kaziranga rhinos - Jan 22, 2012
- Rhino census to be held in Assam from March 15 - Feb 28, 2012
- Rhino killed by poachers in Kaziranga - Feb 04, 2010
- Poacher gang consisting of former forest guards busted - May 18, 2010
Tags: apathy, aphrodisiac properties, asian markets, assam, bharatiya janata party, bjp, deka, effigy, forest land, forest minister, forestland, guwahati, hussain, kaziranga national park, killings, ramen, rhino, rhino horns, rhinos, state forest