Restrictions, shutdown cripple SrinagarJune 21st, 2010 - 12:29 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 21 (IANS) A separatist shutdown and strict curfew-like restrictions by authorities crippled Srinagar Monday, a day after protests over a man’s death sparked widespread street clashes.
Restrictions on people’s movement were imposed in five police station areas of Srinagar’s Old City, where unrest throughout Sunday brought the Jammu and Kashmir summer capital to the boil.
Police said no traffic or pedestrian movement was allowed in Rainawari, Nowhatta, M.R. Gunj, Khanyar and Safa Kadal areas.
Violence erupted here Sunday after 27-year-old Javaid Ahmad was killed when security forces opened fire at a mob attacking a paramilitary post in Waniyar area. Four people sustained bullet wounds.
All separatist leaders, including Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik, have called for a protest strike in the Kashmir Valley Monday to denounce the Sunday killing.
While the Old City reeled under official restrictions, life in uptown Srinagar was paralyzed due to the separatist shutdown.
Educational institutions, banks and markets were closed in the city, while public transport went off the roads.
- Restrictions imposed in Srinagar following tension - Jun 26, 2012
- Restrictions affect life in Srinagar on martyrs' day - Jul 13, 2011
- Separatist shutdown affects life in Srinagar - May 21, 2011
- Separatist shutdown, official curbs mar Srinagar life - May 21, 2012
- Restrictions in Srinagar to foil separatist march - Jul 13, 2011
- Normalcy slowly returning to Srinagar - Jun 27, 2012
- Curbs continue in Srinagar's old city after shrine fire - Jun 29, 2012
- Restrictions in Srinagar after youth's death - Jun 12, 2010
- Curfew in parts of Srinagar following Mirwaiz assault - Nov 26, 2010
- Curfew imposed in Kashmir's Sopore, Baramulla - Jun 29, 2010
- Restrictions, shutdown hit life in Kashmir, situation peaceful (Lead) - Jun 22, 2010
- Strike paralyses Kashmir, restrictions in old Srinagar - Feb 05, 2010
- Cops, CRPF troopers stoned in Srinagar - Apr 13, 2010
- Bunker removal process starts in Srinagar - Oct 05, 2010
- 10 injured in Kashmir clashes (Lead) - Jun 13, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,