Restrictions in Jammu and Kashmir to prevent separatist marchJune 19th, 2009 - 2:40 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 19 (IANS) Strict restrictions were Friday put in place in several places in the Kashmir valley to foil a march called by separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani.
Police and paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) have been deployed in strength in the north Kashmir towns of Sopore and Baramulla where the separatists called for a march Friday.
As a preventive measure, the district magistrate of Baramulla imposed Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code in Sopore and Baramulla towns under which an assembly of five or more people is deemed ‘unlawful’.
Restrictions have also been imposed on the Srinagar-Baramulla highway ahead of Pattan town to foil the gathering of any separatist marchers.
In the summer capital Srinagar, markets and public transport remained closed Friday though private transport plied on the city roads.
There were no restrictions in the uptown city areas of Srinagar although security forces were deployed in strength in the old city areas to prevent the gathering of any separatist marchers.
Geelani, who heads the hardline faction of the Hurriyat Conference, continues to remain under arrest even as his supporters have been holding protests at different places for the last two weeks for his release.
Separatist protests engulfed the Valley after the rape and rape and murder of two women Neelofar Jan, 22, and Asiya Jan, 17, in south Kashmir’s Shopian town whose bodies were found in a stream on May 30.
The state government ordered a judicial probe headed by a retired high court judge and also constituted a special investigating team. The relatives and protesters have been alleging that the two were raped and then murdered by the security forces.
- Two dozen injured in Srinagar protests (Lead) - Jun 19, 2009
- Kashmiri separatist leaders under house arrest - Aug 11, 2011
- Curfew in Srinagar to scuttle separatist march - Oct 27, 2010
- Separatist shutdown hits life in Kashmir towns - Sep 06, 2011
- Separatist shutdown, restrictions paralyses Kashmir (Lead) - Jul 18, 2010
- Bunker removal process starts in Srinagar - Oct 05, 2010
- Curfew, restrictions imposed in Kashmir - Jul 21, 2010
- Two youth injured in Srinagar, separatist march foiled (Lead) - Jul 06, 2010
- Restrictions in Kashmir to prevent separatist protests - Jul 28, 2010
- Shutdown on JKLF founder's death anniversary - Feb 11, 2012
- Restrictions continue in Srinagar - Jul 22, 2010
- Restrictions imposed in Srinagar - Jul 20, 2010
- Srinagar under curfew after Masarat Alam's arrest - Oct 19, 2010
- Four killed, 47 injured in Kashmir Friday - Aug 13, 2010
- Separatists' strike affects life in Kashmir - Nov 25, 2011
Tags: asiya, city areas, city roads, crpf, different places, district magistrate, geelani, hurriyat conference, jammu and kashmir, judicial probe, kashmir, kashmir valley, preventive measure, private transport, reserve police, separatist leader, separatists, south kashmir, srinagar, strict restrictions