Residents of Sarabjits village appeals to govt. for his early releaseMarch 17th, 2008 - 10:18 pm ICT by admin
By Ravinder Singh Robin
Bhikhiwind (Punjab), Mar 17 (ANI): Sarabjit Singh relatives, friends, religious and social organizations, and the residents of his native village Bhikhiwind on Monday appealed the Indian Government to secure his early release.
According to media reports, the death warrant for Sarabjit was received by authorities at Kot Lakhpat jail in Lahore where he has been languishing for the last 17 years and is likely to be executed on April 1.
Sarabjit Singh’s family is grief stricken after hearing the news of issuance of the death warrant.
The resident of the village converged in large number to express their solidarity and concern for Sarabjit.
Prayers were also held in temples and Gurdwara’s for his release.
“My country should do every thing possible to save my husband who is innocent and not even Manjit Singh under whose name he is being hanged to death, ” said Sarabjits wife Sukhpreet Kaur, who led the march.
Sukhpreet said that there would be no harm if India release Pakistani prisoners languishing in Indian jails in return of Sarabjit.
Surinder Pal, a resident of the village said Sarabjit had already spend nearly 17 years in jail dying every minute and hanging him to death was not only cruel but a barbaric decision.
“If Pakistan had sentenced him to life term in 1990, he would have been home by now, said Pal.
Sarabjit, who Pakistan claims is actually Manjit Singh, was sentenced to death for his alleged involvement in the bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan that killed 14 people.
Earlier in the day Sarbjit’s sister Dalbir Kaur met Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi to generate support for her brothers release.
Rahul is said to have assured Dalbir to take the matter with the concerned authorities.
It may be recalled that in an attempt to put a pressure on the governments of India and Pakistan, Dalbir had earlier threatened self-immolation.
The Indian Government has pressed for clemency for Sarabjit, but has not made a formal request on his behalf.
Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf has rejected a mercy plea of Sarabjit close on the heels of the release of Kashmir Singh, another death row prisoner who was recently released by the neighbouring country.
Pakistan’s Supreme Court had also rejected Sarabjit’s mercy petition in March 2006. (ANI)
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna assures family of Sarabjit's release (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Sarabjit's family to protest at Jantar Mantar - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- Pakistan does volte-face, says Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit, to be released (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- Punjab assembly resolution seeks Sarabjit's release - Jun 29, 2012
- Fresh evidence says Sarabjit is innocent: Pakistani lawyer - Dec 06, 2010
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: 17 years, april 1, bomb blasts, death warrant, general secretary, gurdwara, india and pakistan, indian government, issuance, jails, kaur, lahore, multan, punjab, rahul gandhi, ravinder singh, sarabjit singh, self immolation, social organizations, solidarity