Residents in Allahabad celebrate Holi with milk, butter and curdMarch 9th, 2009 - 2:47 pm ICT by ANI
By Virendra Pathak
Allahabad, Mar 9 (ANI): A tribe of milkmen community celebrated Holi, the festival of colours, with milk, curd and butter during the weekend.
They worship Lord Krishna as their family deity and thus celebrate the festival using his favourite items - milk, butter, curd and Chhach (butter milk).
“Milk and curd are used to play Holi. we perform prayers for Lord Krishna and then celebrate Holi two days before Holi and two days after,” said Uday Bansi, a resident.
On Makhaniya Holi that falls on Rangbhari Ekadashi, a few days ahead of the main Holi festival, these milkmen prepare a mixture of rose petals, butter, curd and buttermilk in drums.
The first offering is made to Lord Krishna’’s idol at the village temple and then they make merry - splashing, spraying and throwing it at each other.
The celebrations are done amid popular Holi songs.
Krishna, also known as ”Makhan-Chor”, was a child known for his fondness for milk, butter, curd and buttermilk.
Holi will be celebrated on March 11 this year, marking the onset of spring. (ANI)
- Milkmen celebrate Makhaniya Holi in Allahabad - Mar 20, 2008
- Janmashtami celebrations: Prayers, fasts, fervour grips Delhi - Aug 10, 2012
- One killed, 40 hurt in Dahi-Handi revelry in Maharashtra - Aug 10, 2012
- Delhi revels in the spirit of Janmashtami - Aug 22, 2011
- Thousands throng Mathura for Janmashtami - Aug 10, 2012
- Drum beats wake up Mumbai, Govindas seek pot of luck - Sep 02, 2010
- Indian ban to hit Pashupatinath's festival in Nepal - Feb 20, 2011
- Mumbai's Dahi Handi stakes run high, pyramids higher (Lead) - Aug 22, 2011
- Radha gets official seal in Delhi's Krishna ballet (With Image) - Aug 18, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh residents celebrate 'Laddoo Holi' - Mar 14, 2011
- Delhi celebrates Maha Shivaratri with offerings, fasts and prayers - Feb 20, 2012
- Where Holi goes on for 50 days - Mar 07, 2012
- Radhastami celebrations in Mathura - Sep 05, 2011
- Muslims take part in Gokulashtami in Mumbai - Sep 02, 2010
- Lord Krishna's name not anyone's property: Court - Oct 18, 2011
Tags: allahabad, butter milk, buttermilk, celebrations, chor, deity, drums, ekadashi, festival of colours, fondness, holi, holi festival, holi songs, lord krishna, march 11, milk curd, mixture, pathak, prayers, rose petals