Resentment against BJP at JD (U)’s national executive meetMay 30th, 2009 - 11:42 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 30 (ANI): Resentful voices against Bharatiya Janata Party were heard at the Janata Dal (United)’s national executive meet which was held to discuss party’s performance in recent Lok Sabha polls here.
After the meet, JD (U) spokesperson Shivanand Tewari admitted there were some “irritants” in JD-U’s relations with BJP, however, he denied anybody demanding to part ways with the BJP.
“There was no talk of breaking our relationship with BJP in the meeting… In Orissa, (BJD chief) Naveen Patnaiak might have had some such problem with BJP but in Bihar no such problem has cropped up,” Tewari told media persons later.
While admitting that there were complaints by JD(U) units in a few states against BJP’s style of functioning under the alliance, Tewari denied there was no opposition from BJP to Nitish Kumar government’s initiatives for minority welfare schemes.
Bihar JD (U)’s President Rajiv Ranjan Singh wanted BJP to reconsider its stand on certain issues whereas Jharkhand JD-U chief Jaleshwar Mahto charged that State BJP leaders had worked against the two official candidates of JD-U, leading to their defeat, sources said.
Among other issues the National Democratic Alliance’s overall performance was also discussed at the JD (U)’s meet.
The two-day JD(U) national executive meet also deliberated on “certain issues raised by BJP just before the elections” and felt they had damaged the prospects of NDA, Tewari said.
“Just before the election, BJP raised certain issues which were not required…BJP must also contemplate what were the issues that damaged them as it was the bigger partner in NDA and the alliance’s Prime Ministerial candidate was also from BJP. For them it must be more shocking,” Tewari said.
He, however, refused to specify the issues raised by BJP. However, sources, said the relevance of BJP candidate Varun Gandhi’s controversial speech and other statements by other leaders were raised at the meet.
The two-day meet was attended by JD(U) President and NDA acting-convener Sharad Yadav, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, and party’s State Presidents, senior leaders and newly-elected party MPs. (ANI)
- Gakari asks party functionaries, allies to exercise restraint - Jun 26, 2012
- War rages in Bihar between BJP, JD-U (Bihar Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
- Nitish meets Jaswant, pledges support - Jul 26, 2012
- Bihar's ruling JD-U is against Modi for PM's post - Sep 18, 2011
- BJP core group to meet today, allies divided over presidency (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- BJP tries to bridge gaps on presidential contest (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- JD-U leader supports Mukherjee - Jun 16, 2012
- Nitish Kumar elected head of NDA legislature party (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- JD-U, Trinamool yet to reach accord in UP - Jan 27, 2012
- Another JD-U leader calls for snapping ties with BJP - Sep 18, 2010
- BJP, JD-U to meet on presidential candidate - May 02, 2012
- JD-U is with Jaswant Singh: Nitish - Jul 16, 2012
- JD-U 'rethink' on alliance will only help Lalu, says BJP - Sep 14, 2010
- NDA defers decision on presidential polls (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- BJP leader walks over to JD-U in Bihar - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: bjd, bjp leaders, controversial speech, irritants, janata party, jd, lok sabha polls, media persons, minority welfare, national democratic alliance, national executive, naveen, orissa, prime ministerial candidate, rajiv, ranjan, resentment, shivanand, tewari, welfare schemes