Rescue operations speed up in flood affected OrissaSeptember 20th, 2008 - 11:15 pm ICT by ANI
Bhubaneswar , Sept 20 (ANI): Rescue operations have been speeded up in Orissa as the State is faced with the fury of flash floods due to heavy incessant rains throwing life out of gear.
At least 15 of the 30 Districts in the State have been affected by flash floods.
The States Disaster Management Agencies and the army have started evacuating thousands of stranded villagers from the affected areas.
The Air Force helicopters were pressed into service and the army men rescued people marooned in Boudh District.
Manmohan Samal, Orissa Government Disaster Management Minister told reporters about government’’s efforts to help the victims.
We are dispatching relief material to all the village councils and we have dispatched kitchen material to all the village heads across the state so that everyone gets adequate food, said Samal.
Over 3000 people in Kalahandi, Balangir, Sonepur and Boudh districts in Orissa are marooned for the last three days.
A much bigger threat is building up at Mundli barrage the last checkpoint for the surging floodwaters in Orissa’’s biggest river, the Mahanadi .
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik had called a meeting of state officials on Friday in Bhubaneswar to discuss the flood situation.
Relief and rescue mechanism was readied in Cuttack , Puri, Kendrapada and Jagatsinghpur districts.
More than sixty five thousand people have been shifted so far to safer places.
All schools and cyclone shelters have been opened to accommodate flood-affected families.
The meteorological department has issued warning to fishermen not to venture out in the sea for next few days. (ANI)
- Orissa flood toll 20 - Sep 14, 2011
- Orissa airdrops food as floods get worse - Sep 24, 2011
- Four more die in Orissa floods, toll at 26 - Sep 15, 2011
- Orissa floods: Six die, toll rises to 32 - Sep 16, 2011
- Floods displace thousands in Orissa - Sep 10, 2011
- Fresh floods hit 900 Orissa villages - Sep 23, 2011
- Orissa steps up flood relief efforts - Sep 12, 2011
- Flash floods kill one in Orissa, displace thousands - Aug 06, 2010
- Heavy rains cause flash floods in Orissa - Jul 21, 2009
- Death toll in Orissa flood rises to 22 - Sep 15, 2011
- Flood-hit Orissa gets two more choppers - Sep 26, 2011
- Orissa flash floods toll 36, hundreds rescued - Jul 20, 2009
- Over 300 killed, 6 million affected in Pakistan floods - Sep 18, 2011
- Relief efforts intensified as Orissa floods worsen - Sep 25, 2011
- Floods in eastern India kill at least 59, millions affected - Sep 27, 2011
Tags: adequate food, army men, barrage, bhubaneswar, chief minister, cyclone, disaster management, fishermen, flash floods, flood situation, floodwaters, incessant rains, management agencies, manmohan, meteorological department, orissa government, relief material, rescue operations, state officials, village councils