Republican Governors meet in Miami to plot way back to powerNovember 12th, 2008 - 4:22 pm ICT by ANI
Miami (Florida), Nov.12 (ANI): Republican governors have gathered here to strategise a way back to the White House and to securing a majority in the Congress again.
Among the governors attending the three-day moot are Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour and Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty.
Indian-American Jindal continues to draw crowds of admirers at appearances outside his state. Most GOP officials agree no one in recent memory has performed better than Jindal as the public face of the party during his leadership of the Republican National Committee. But with the loss in the 2008 presidential polls, prominent party members say finding a single go-to “face of the party” may mean turning to someone like former House Speaker Newt Gingrich or former Maryland GOP Chairman Michael S. Steele, the state’’s first black lieutenant governor. Steele is expected to formally make a play for the spot Thursday, and Mr. Gingrich, who publicly denies interest, reportedly covets the position and his backers are lobbying behind the scenes.
Of the 21 GOP governors left standing, 17 are expected to show up for the Miami annual conference at the Intercontinental Hotel on Chopin Plaza. (ANI)
- Pawlenty becomes first GOP 2012 Presidential contender to announce intention to run - Mar 22, 2011
- Romney, Palin clear leaders for 2012 GOP presidential primary - Oct 01, 2010
- Sarah Palin & Tony Perkins distance themselves from RNC - Apr 02, 2010
- New Hampshire voters prefer Romney over Obama: Poll - Apr 23, 2011
- Trump in second place as GOP candidate: NBC Poll - Apr 07, 2011
- Rep. Michelle Bachmann opens CPAC (conservative political action conference) - Feb 11, 2011
- Santorum sweeps south; setback for Romney - Mar 14, 2012
- Most Americans can't name single GOP candidate: Poll - Apr 21, 2011
- Santorum wins Louisiana to slow down Romney - Mar 25, 2012
- Obama's rating plunges, yet ahead of GOP rivals: Poll - Apr 20, 2011
- Former Pennsylvania Senator wins South Carolina straw poll - Apr 10, 2011
- Lowans still looking for outstanding GOP contender ahead of Caucuses: Poll - Apr 30, 2011
- Santorum slows Romney's march with southern sweep (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Romney's path cleared; gets Bobby Jindal's backing (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Newt Gingrich A Frontrunner For 2012 Elections? - Jan 18, 2010
Tags: 2008 presidential polls, alaska governor sarah palin, bobby jindal, former house speaker newt gingrich, gop chairman, gop governors, gop officials, governor haley barbour, governor sarah palin, governor tim pawlenty, haley barbour, house speaker newt gingrich, minnesota governor tim pawlenty, mississippi governor haley barbour, mr gingrich, newt gingrich, republican governors, republican national committee, speaker newt gingrich, tim pawlenty