Republic Day celebrated peacefully in Jammu and Kashmir, AssamJanuary 26th, 2009 - 7:39 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Jan.26 (ANI): Despite a boycott call given by the extremists, Republic Day was celebrated with great patriotism and fervour on Monday here.
The main programme was held at the Bakshi Stadium where the states Rural Development Minister Ali Mohammed Sagar unfurled the national flag and took the salute.
Defying the boycott call, people came out in large numbers to witness the flag hoisting ceremony followed by a colourful cultural programme.
School children and contingents of the Jammu and Kashmir Police and those of the paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Border Security Force (BSF) and Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) marched braving the winter chill.
Several leaders including the National Conference (NC) president and former Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah were present on the occasion.
Rural Development Minister Ali Mohammed Sagar in his address after the flag hosting ceremony, urged the Prime Minister Dr.Manmohan Singh to restart the stalled peace process between India and Pakistan.
“We appeal to the Prime Minister to restart the peace process between the two countries so that distances between them are narrowed down, Sagar said adding The process of peace and reconciliation between India and Pakistan has a direct bearing on the lives of the people in Jammu and Kashmir.
Meanwhile, in Assam the Republic Day celebrations also passed off peacefully.
The state Governor, Shiv Charan Mathur took salute of the Republic Day parade at the Latasil parade ground in Guwahati.
Addressing the people after the parade, Governor Mathur said that the state is committed to root out extremism from its soil, and no stone will be left unturned to fight anti-national elements operating with the support of outside organisations.
“The state government is committed to fight the anti- national forces and secure peace and stability to the citizens, he said. (ANI)
- Kashmir government for resuming India-Pakistan peace process (State Roundup) - Jan 26, 2009
- India salutes heroes on Republic Day (States Roundup) - Jan 26, 2009
- No scope for laxity on the part of security forces in J-K, says J-K Governor - Jan 26, 2010
- R-Day passes off peacefully in Kashmir Valley - Jan 26, 2009
- Resume peace process with Pakistan, Kashmir government to PM (Lead) - Jan 26, 2009
- Celebration and introspection... India goes tricolour on 63rd R-Day (Roundup) - Jan 26, 2012
- West Bengal celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Haryana celebrates Republic Day with fanfare - Jan 26, 2011
- Pageantry, national spirit mark R-Day fete in Karnataka (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Strike hits Republic Day in Meghalaya - Jan 26, 2011
- Karnataka celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Omar asks separatists to abjure violence (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Time for AFSPA removal hasn't come: Omar - Aug 15, 2012
- Republic Day peaceful in Kashmir; separatist, BJP marches foiled (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- West Bengal celebrates Republic Day (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
Tags: ali mohammed, border police, border security force, development minister, dr manmohan singh, india and pakistan, itbp, jammu and kashmir, manmohan singh, mathur, national elements, parade ground, peace and reconciliation, peace and stability, peace process, republic day, reserve police, state governor, tibetan border, winter chill