Reply of PMO on S-Band scam is unsatisfactory, claims BJPFebruary 8th, 2011 - 9:49 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 8 (ANI): The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Tuesday pulled up the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) Government at the Centre, claiming that the reply of the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) on the S-Band scam is unsatisfactory.
Bharatiya Janata Party General Secretary Ravi Shankar Prasad said: “In the recent 3G spectrum auction, the Government had earned 67, 710 crores and the Wi-fi auction had earned them 38,000 crore. ”
“So, in total, they earned more than one lakh crore in the auctions. We would like to ask the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh that as spectrum is a national asset and when they are given to an organisation like ISRO, they are trustees for the spectrum and they cannot alienate it by transfer or lease in any other way,” he added.
The Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) on Tuesday denied reports that a private company has been allotted a whopping 70MHZ of spectrum for barely Rs. 1000 crore through a deal with the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), which reports directly to the Prime Minister.
In a statement issued here, the PMO clarified that no decision has been taken by the Government to allocate space segment using S Band Spectrum to ANTRIX Corporation or Devas Multimedia.
“Hence, the question of revenue loss does not arise and any such reports are without basis in fact,” the statement added.
The Comptroller and Auditor General’s office and the Department of Space have already issued statements stating the factual position.
In a section of the media on Monday it was reported that ANTRIX Corporation, the commercial arm of ISRO entered into an agreement in 2005 with Devas Multimedia allowing use of 70 megahertz of S-band spectrum without inviting bids resulting in huge revenue loss to the exchequer. (ANI)
- ISRO job is not allocation of spectrum, clarifies Madhavan Nair - Feb 09, 2011
- S-Band agreement caused no loss to Govt.: ISRO - Feb 08, 2011
- Centre will take apt action in S-Band spectrum allocation: Pallam Raju - Feb 08, 2011
- Committee appointed to review Antrix Devas deal on S-band spectrum - Feb 10, 2011
- ISRO spectrum scam denied by Prime Minister's office - Feb 08, 2011
- Manmohan Singh must explain S-Band spectrum scam: Shahnawaz Hussain - Feb 10, 2011
- No revenue loss in S-band spectrum, contract being reviewed: Government (Second Lead) - Feb 08, 2011
- PMO says no revenue losses in S-band spectrum (Lead) - Feb 08, 2011
- ISRO agreement to be annulled, no mention of end-use terms (Roundup) - Feb 08, 2011
- BJP challenges PM on ISRO agreement - Feb 08, 2011
- Centre scraps ISRO-Devas deal on S-band spectrum allocation - Feb 17, 2011
- No cheap selling of spectrum in Antrix-Devas deal: Review Committee - Feb 05, 2012
- PMO did not approve S-band spectrum deal: Manmohan Singh - Feb 24, 2011
- Government attempts to nip fresh spectrum row (Intro Roundup) - Feb 08, 2011
- BJP seeks probe, response from PM in new spectrum controversy - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: 3g spectrum auction, band spectrum, bharatiya janata party, commercial arm, comptroller and auditor general, crores, indian space research, indian space research organization, isro, manmohan, manmohan singh, megahertz, national asset, pmo, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, ravi shankar, ravi shankar prasad, space research organization, space segment