Renuka criticizes Karnataka government on pub assault incidentJanuary 26th, 2009 - 11:53 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan.26 (ANI): Union Minister Renuka Chowdhry on Monday criticized the Karnataka Government on its failure to prevent attempts to “Talibanise” the country.
Renuka, however, sought explanation from the State BJP government and asked the National Commission for Women (NCW) to probe the Saturday night’’s episode of moral policing by a Hindu outfit, which has sparked an outrage.
A group of “Sri Ram Sena” activists allegedly barged into a pub in the heart of Mangalore city on Saturday and started thrashing weekend revellers, including girls. They were objecting to their obscene behaviour at the place.
District in-Charge Minister, Krishna Palemar, said in Mangalore that bars and pubs cannot remain open beyond 11 PM and the rule would be implemented strictly.
“Obscene dances will not be allowed in our district,” Palemar said.
Bharatiya Janata Party, however, has stated that the hoodlums involved in the attack on some youngsters on Saturday at a pub, did not belong to the Sangh Parivar.
BJPs spokesman Ravi Shankar Prasad also said that the culprits were “neither from the BJP nor from the Sangh Parivar. “They are from an autonomous organisation active in the area. We condemn this hooliganism.”
I have a little problem with those who seek to make political capital out of it. There are so many cases of serious violence and riots in Delhi where women were raped. Has the National Commission for Women gone to the victims of police atrocities on women in Delhi?” Prasad asked.
BJP President Rajnath Singh, however, has condemned the incident and said that he would discuss the issue with Karnatakas chief minister.
Meanwhile, Karnatakas Inspector General of Police, A. M. Prasad has stated that at least 17 individuals, including the district convenor and secretary of Sri Ram Sena, have been arrested and remanded to judicial custody till Tuesday while a “special squad” has been formed to nab the other accused.
Asked if provisions of Goonda Act will be invoked against them, Prasad said: “We will examine it…. Whosoever has been involved in the incident will be certainly be arrested.”
“I am absolutely horrified at the insensitivity…. I will seek an explanation from the Karanataka Government as well as self-styled Sri Ram Sena. This (the incident) is an attempt to Talibanise India. There is no place for these kind of acts in India, said Renuka Chowdhary while adding that she would speak to Chief Minister B. S. Yeddurappa on the incident who should “wake up” and take action against the culprits.
Yeddurappa, however, called the incident as very unfortunate. He asserted that police were being given a free hand to probe incident.
“Nobody should take law into their hands… government will take strict action against the culprits,” said the Chief Minister after the Republic Day function.
Defending his group’’s action, Pramod Muthalik, founder of Sri Ram Sena, said, “We have to protect Indian culture and protect women from immoral activities.” (ANI)
- Yeddyurappa answerable for Mangalore attack, says Renuka Chowdhary (Lead) - Jan 26, 2009
- Four more held for moral policing in Karnataka - Jul 30, 2012
- Mangalore pub attack against Indian ethos: Advani - Feb 28, 2009
- Protests against moral policing in Karnataka - Jul 29, 2012
- Sex, lies and videotape hit BJP (Comment) - Feb 11, 2012
- Girls thrashed at Karnataka's Mangalore for partying - Jul 28, 2012
- 'Rent-a-riot' Muthalik pays for his fanaticism (Letter from Bangalore) - May 21, 2010
- BJP again caught in porn scandal, now in Gujarat (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Bangaloreans appalled at Mangalore pub attack, but not scared - Jan 27, 2009
- Karnataka Police arrests Ram Sena leader - Jan 27, 2009
- Renuka Chowdhary to seek poll panel action against Sri Ram Sene - Jan 30, 2009
- BJP minister found watching porn in Karnataka assembly (Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- Karnataka porngate ministers now face police probe - Feb 13, 2012
- Yeddyurappa answerable for Mangalore attack, says Renuka Chowdhary - Jan 26, 2009
- Prashant Bhsuhan bashed up, one attacker held (Roundup) - Oct 13, 2011
Tags: atrocities, autonomous organisation, bars and pubs, chief minister, convenor, culprits, hoodlums, hooliganism, judicial custody, krishna, outrage, prasad, ravi shankar, revellers, riots, sangh parivar, sena, sri ram, union minister, youngsters