Renuka Chowdhury sacks NCW member over Mangalore assault probeFebruary 27th, 2009 - 9:56 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 27 (ANI): Union Minister for Women and Child Development Renuka Chowdhury on Friday sacked National Commission for Women (NCW) member Nirmala Vankatesh, saying her conduct was detrimental to public interest.
Vankatesh was sent to Mangalore to probe the assault on women in a pub by the Hindu outfit Sri Rama Sene, but she went public and acted in a way which was detrimental to public interest, a notification issued to NCW member said.
Earlier, a show cause notice was issued to Vankatesh to explain her investigation. However, her explanation was not satisfactory and she has been removed from the charge with immediate effect.
A three-member team led by Vankatesh was formed to probe the January 24 attack on women in a Mangalore pub.
Venkatesh on her report, had blamed the pub owners for not ensuring enough security for girls that led to the attack.
She also shifted the probe focus to whether or not the pub had a licence to serve liquor.
The NCW had rejected the report, saying it null and void. (ANI)
- NCW member sacked over Mangalore assault probe - Feb 27, 2009
- NCW member gets notice over Mangalore pub probe - Feb 06, 2009
- It is a 'political conspiracy', says sacked NCW member - Mar 02, 2009
- Renuka's ministry blames Mangalore pub attack on administration - Feb 06, 2009
- Nirmala Vankatesh slams Renuka for NCW sack (Lead) - Mar 02, 2009
- Mangalore incident triggers war of words in women's commission - Feb 03, 2009
- Renuka Chowdhury sends team to probe Mangalore pub incident - Feb 01, 2009
- Mangalore pub attack victims stay away from ministry team (Lead) - Feb 01, 2009
- Sacked NCW member Nirmala Vankatesh joins BJP - Mar 05, 2009
- Elements like pub attackers are 'threat to national security': Renuka - Feb 03, 2009
- Mangalore pub attack against Indian ethos: Advani - Feb 28, 2009
- Women and Child Ministry to probe Mangalore attack case - Feb 01, 2009
- NCW, ministry reject member's report on Mangalore pub attack (Roundup) - Feb 06, 2009
- Nirmala Venkatesh was a flaw in the system: Renuka Chowdhury - Feb 28, 2009
- Nirmala Venkatesh criticises Govt. for sacking her over Mangalore pub probe - Mar 02, 2009