Renuka Chowdhary launches scheme to protect Girl Child in IndiaMarch 3rd, 2008 - 8:59 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Mar 3 (ANI): In an effort to set right the country’s skewed gender ratio, Women and Child Development Minister Renuka Chowdhary today launched a ‘Conditional cash Transfer for Girl Child with Insurance Cover (CCT)’ scheme here.
Unveiling the scheme, Chowdhary, said the scheme would encourage parents to educate the girl child and to help in changing their mindsets towards the girl. This will force them to look upon girls as an asset rather than a liability
Families with a girl child will get a certain amount every year. The amount for each year is to be decided. When a girl child is born, the family will get money. If they give her proper vaccination on time, they will get a certain amount. When they enrol her in school, and as she continues her education, they will get more. The incentive will continue till she attains the age of 18,’ Chowdhary added.
Despite laws banning tests to determine the sex of an unborn child, the killing of female foetuses is common in some regions in India.
According to a United Nations survey conducted in 2007, an estimated 2,000 unborn girls are illegally aborted every day in India.
This has led to skewed sex ratios in regions like Punjab, Haryana, Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh and New Delhi, where a census in 2001 showed there are less than 800 girls for every 1,000 boys.
According to estimates by the Central Government, over the past 20 years, 10 million girls, have been killed either before or immediately after birth by their parents. (ANI)
- Two female foetuses recovered in Rajasthan - Nov 06, 2011
- Girl's foetus found in Rajasthan town - Apr 20, 2012
- Girl foetus found abandoned in Rajasthan - Jun 16, 2012
- Cradle in every village - to save the girl child (With Images) - May 24, 2011
- Severely punish culprits of female foeticide: Aamir - Jul 11, 2012
- India's population is 1.21 billion, gender imbalance worsens (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2011
- Declining sex ratio attributed to misuse of medical technology - Dec 18, 2011
- 'Save Girl Child' campaign kicked off by Priyanka Chopra - Mar 21, 2010
- 'Satyameva Jayate' inspires sarpanch to act against female foeticide - May 24, 2012
- Baby girl found abandoned by wayside - Sep 04, 2011
- Fourth foetus found in Jaipur - Mar 31, 2012
- Borther cries foul, woman unable to bear boy child dies - Oct 20, 2011
- Bachchans give huge fillip to the 'girl child' in India - Nov 23, 2011
- Rajasthan deploys spies to curb sex determination tests - Jan 03, 2012
- Parents abandon girl child - for two months - Aug 25, 2011
Tags: 10 million, census, central government, child development, chowdhary, development minister, estimates, foetuses, gender ratio, girl child, gujarat, haryana, himachal pradesh, India, mindsets, New Delhi, sex ratios, unborn child, united nations, vaccination