Religious procession sparks off communal violence in IndoreNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:09 am ICT by admin
Police had to resort to a baton charge and fired teargas shells after the protesters began throwing stones at each other.
“Some people tried to forcibly shut down the shops. This led to tension and there was also stone pelting. Police have cordoned off the area and the situation is under control,” said Anshuman Singh Yadav, Indore’s Superintendent of Police.
The riot police was called in to bring the situation under control.
Residents,however, blamed the police for acting in haste.
“Police fired tear gas and there was nothing like that before in Chandannagar. The police are at fault. If there was no baton charging, the situation would have remained calm,” said Mohammad Javed, a resident.
Another resident said the violence was uncalled for.
“We were taking out a procession of a goddess, and then they (Muslims) started pelting stones at us,” said Jagjit Kushwaha, another resident. (ANI)
- Tension spilling over to Jammu - Mar 16, 2012
- East Delhi situation under control, 22 detained (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- People clash with police, dozen injured in Kashmir town - Mar 15, 2012
- Tension as cops clash with students, stop Telangana march - Sep 19, 2011
- Kashmir shrine gutted, Holy relic safe (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Shrine blaze triggers tension in Srinagar (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- 30 injured in communal clash in Meerut - Apr 25, 2011
- Two dead as Mumbai protest against Myanmar killings turns violent (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- 20 injured as mob goes on rampage in Assam city - Jun 22, 2011
- Telangana students try to storm assembly, protests rock Hyderabad (Second Lead) - Feb 21, 2011
- Riots in Pakistan after double murder-accused Davis 'buys' freedom - Mar 17, 2011
- Five injured in communal clash - Aug 25, 2011
- Naidu reaches Warangal amid shutdown, protests - Jan 06, 2012
- Curfew imposed in old Hyderabad - Apr 08, 2012
- Jammu observes shutdown against police action - Mar 17, 2012