Reliance Infocomm refutes allegations in phone-tapping case

February 14th, 2011 - 7:47 pm ICT by ANI  

New Delhi, Feb 14 (ANI): Reliance Infocomm on Monday refuted in the Supreme Court the allegations that it had illegally tapped former Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh’s phone, saying that it had acted ‘in a bonafide manner’.

The telecom company submitted a 21-page affidavit before an apex court bench of Justices G S Singhvi and A K Ganguly in this regard.

“It has acted in a bonafide manner and has followed the prescribed procedures,” said Reliance Infocomm in its affidavit.

The telecom company further said that it has fully cooperated with the Delhi Police in the probe and had acted with ‘perfect honesty and care and caution’.

The apex court had earlier on Saturday slammed the Government for not cancelling the license of Reliance Infocomm for illegally tapping the telephone of Amar Singh on the basis of forged orders.

Earlier on February 3, the Supreme Court asked the Centre to disclose action taken against then service provider Reliance Infocomm for the unauthorized tab on the politician’s phone.

A bench of Justices G S Singhvi and A K Ganguly asked attorney general G E Vahanvati to specify action taken against Reliance Infocomm since the Centre issued the service provider a showcause notice on December 31, 2005, for allowing interception on a forged letter from Delhi Police. The court had in 2006 stayed publication of Singh’s illegally intercepted conversations.

Singh had sought a judicial probe into the practice of ruling parties to unauthorisedly intercept opposition leaders’ telephones and had made Congress and Reliance Infocomm respondents in his petition. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in National |

Subscribe