Reliance deactivates 36,000 SIM cards in JammuJune 11th, 2009 - 11:36 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, June 11 (ANI): Investigations by the Crime Branch of Jammu and Kashmir police into the SIM card scam has resulted in deactivation of 36,000 SIM cards by Reliance Communication in Jammu.
It is alleged that the distributors of the company issued SIM cards without the mandatory prior verification and in some cases even by forging documents.
The Crime Branch team found that authorised dealers of private cellular companies issued SIM cards in violation of norms, threatening security.
According to J. P. Singh, Special Superintendent of Police (SSP) of crime branch, there are intelligence inputs that militants are using such SIM cards.
“The cards, which have been issued by the companies have finally landed into hands of militants and criminal elements. If they have been deactivated today, as the company has said, definitely it will be a big set back to the criminal elements and the anti-national elements. This is going to be great help to the security forces,” said J P Singh, SSP Crime Branch.
Singh added that the company displayed corporate responsibility by deactivating the SIM cards. He hoped other private cellular companies would take a cue from Reliance Telecom.
Crime Branch sleuths are conducting surprise checks on authorised outlets of cellular companies and seizing their record for scrutiny.
They have already arrested three dealers so far. (ANI)
- Kashmir cell service providers overlook security for sales - Sep 04, 2009
- No pre-paid connections in Kashmir over militant worries (Lead) - Oct 30, 2009
- Bangladesh bans SIMS for those aged 18 and under - Jul 08, 2010
- Pakistanis angry over mobile companies using fake IDs to issue SIM cards - Oct 19, 2009
- Three border villagers arrested with Pak SIMs - Sep 12, 2012
- Pakistan blocks 10.2 million unverified mobile phones - Apr 23, 2010
- 10 mn SIM cards used for crime, terror in Bangladesh: Police - Oct 04, 2009
- Tribunal asks Vodafone to pay Rs.25 crore penalty - Nov 18, 2011
- Ban on prepaid mobile phones in Kashmir revoked (Lead) - Jan 21, 2010
- Lashkar module busted in Poonch - May 20, 2012
- 'Sold' Bhutanese boy recovered in Kashmir - Feb 11, 2011
- Kashmir civilian death: National Conference activist records statement - Nov 01, 2011
- Gang supplying mobile phone SIM cards to Maoists busted in UP - May 09, 2012
- CBI files graft cases against two MTNL officials - Aug 12, 2010
- No prepaid mobiles in Kashmir from Nov 1 - Oct 30, 2009
Tags: authorised dealers, cellular companies, corporate responsibility, crime branch sleuths, criminal elements, cue, deactivation, j p singh, kashmir, national elements, norms, reliance communication, reliance telecom, scrutiny, security forces, sim card, sim cards, ssp, superintendent, surprise checks