RBI Governor says fundamentals of Indian economy continue to be strongOctober 11th, 2008 - 5:06 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 11 (ANI): Reserve Bank of India Governor D. Subbarao has said that the fundamentals of the Indian economy continue to be strong.
The RBI Governor, who is attending the Annual Meeting of the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund in Washington, has said that though the Indian banks have some exposure to the distressed financial instruments, but it is very small compared to the overall size of the business.
The Indian banking system is sound, well-capitalised and well-regulated, said Subbarao, adding, Indias forex and money markets have been functioning in an orderly manner.
He further said that the RBI has taken action to inject liquidity into the system and is monitoring the situation on a continuous basis, and will take effective and swift action.
On Friday, when Sensex plunged by almost 1,000 points to 10,300, RBI swung into action and announced a one percentage point cut in the cash reserve ratio (CRR, proportion of total deposits that banks need to maintain with the central bank).
On Monday, RBI had already cut the CRR by 0.5 percentage point. (ANI)
- CRR cut will ease liquidity problems, says Pranab - Jan 24, 2012
- CRR reduction will help ease liquidity problems: India Inc. - Jan 24, 2012
- Will check rupee fall: RBI - Dec 08, 2011
- RBI governor meets Mukherjee ahead of policy review - Apr 03, 2012
- India's central bank frees more money for credit - Mar 09, 2012
- India's central bank frees more money for credit (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged as inflation outlook worsens (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged, cuts SLR by 1 percent (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Shifting focus to growth, RBI infuses Rs.320 bn into system (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
- India Inc welcomes rate cut (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Markets cheer unexpected cut in key rate (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Rate cuts unlikely as RBI reviews policy this week - Jan 22, 2012
- India's central bank infuses more money into system (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Inflation too high, says RBI; defends tight money policy (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- SBI wants CRR phased out for 'more efficient' banking (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: bank of india, banking system, cash reserve ratio, continuous basis, financial instruments, forex, indian banks, indian economy, international monetary fund, liquidity, money markets, New Delhi, oct 11, orderly manner, percentage point, proportion, reserve bank of india, subbarao, swift action, world bank