Rauf linked to al-Qaeda’’s number two Ayman al-ZawahiriNovember 24th, 2008 - 5:04 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Nov.24 (ANI): Rashid Rauf, the British al-Qaeda suspect reportedly killed by a US missile strike in a Pakistani tribal area on Saturday, was linked to the group’’s second-in-command, Ayman al-Zawahiri.
The Telegraph quoted Pakistani government and intelligence officials as saying that the US believed that Rauf was staying with a group connected to Zawahiri. Zawahiri is believed by American officials to operate from Pakistan’’s lawless, tribal border areas.
Rauf had been on the run since escaping from a Pakistani jail nearly a year ago. He and a Saudi militant called Abu Zubair al-Masri were among five killed in a missile attack in North Waziristan on Saturday.
Rauf, a British national, was alleged to have been the mastermind of an al-Qaeda plot to blow up passenger aircraft in mid-air after they left London bound for the United States.
There was no independent corroboration of his death but local Pakistani intelligence officials and US intelligence officials believed he was dead, according to a senior Pakistani military source.
The information minister, Sherry Rehman, confirmed that Rauf and Misri were targeted in the raid. She did not elaborate. (ANI)
- Al-Qaeda's second-in-command praises militant leaders killed in Iraq - May 25, 2010
- Zawahiri praises Osama on new video - Jun 09, 2011
- Zawahiri praises Osama on new video (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Al-Qaeda holding US aid worker hostage in Pakistan - Dec 02, 2011
- Bin Laden's deputy lauds slain Al Qaeda leaders - May 21, 2010
- Despite split reports, al-Zawahiri could be new Al Qaeda boss - May 07, 2011
- Al Qaeda chief wants '9/11' of his own - Sep 10, 2011
- Al Qaeda deputy demands Arab armies' intervention in Libya to oust Gaddafi - Apr 15, 2011
- US doubts Al Qaeda leader Zawahiri has fled Pakistan - Sep 15, 2011
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 16, 2011
- Al-Qaeda says it is holding US hostage (Lead) - Dec 02, 2011
- Al-Qaeda says it is holding US hostage (Second Lead, Changing dateline) - Dec 02, 2011
- US intercepts 9/11 threat from Al Qaeda operative - Sep 10, 2011
- Ayman al-Zawahiri, America's new most wanted - May 05, 2011
- Al Qaeda No 2 dead: US - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: abu zubair, al masri, american officials, ayman al zawahiri, border areas, independent corroboration, information minister, intelligence officials, islamabad, mid air, military source, misri, missile attack, missile strike, north waziristan, pakistani government, passenger aircraft, rashid rauf, sherry rehman, tribal area