Ratan Tata to meet Buddhadeb todaySeptember 28th, 2008 - 11:03 am ICT by ANI
Kolkata, Sept 27 (ANI): Tata Group Chairman Ratan Tata will meet West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee today following Tatas request that he wanted to talk to Buddhadeb on Singur issue.
Addressing a students rallyhere on Saturday, Bhattacharjee said: I had written to the Tatas. I have received their letter today. In the letter Ratan Tata has said he wants to talk to me. I have said yes to that. The Chief Minister, however, did not divulge when Ratan Tata is expected to be in Kolkata.
West Bengal Industry Minister Nirupam Sen had earlier said, “A meeting between the State Government and Tatas may take place on Sunday to discuss the issue.”
“The Chief Minister has written to Tata requesting him to restart work at the Nano plant at Singur,” Sen said, and added that the Chief Minister in his letter had promised to extend all help and cooperation to the Tatas.
He also said the people of Singur and the state wanted the Tata project to remain at Singur.
On Friday, Bhattacharjee had asked Ratan Tata to restart work at Singur Nano project.
There has been no formal communication from the company to the State Government so far.
Work on the project has been suspended for nearly a month because of the protest by the Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress (TMC).
Meanwhile, truckloads of material have started rolling out of the Singur Nano factory, a sign that Tata Motors is on an exit route from West Bengal .
Trouble began after the West Bengal government acquired 1000 acres of farmland for the Tata Motors small car plant at Singur last year.
The State Government offered compensation, which some farmers rejected.
The Trinamool chief has been demanding that at least 400 acres be returned to farmers.
The Government says it is in favour of a land-based solution for farmers but was against disturbing the Tata Motors plant site. (ANI)
- West Bengal minister visits Singur site - May 31, 2011
- Buddhadeb silent on Singur verdict, flays Mamata - Sep 29, 2011
- 2007 accord on Tata's Singur plant land to be made public - May 26, 2011
- Industry will be set up in Singur: Buddhadeb - Jan 09, 2011
- Mamata buckles under anti-land acquisition stir, cancels Sankarail project (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- After protests, Mamata for shifting wagon factory to Singur - Jan 13, 2011
- West Bengal housing minister threatened me: Mamata - Nov 04, 2010
- Bengal to acquire 400 acres at Singur to return to farmers - Jun 09, 2011
- Mamata government tables Singur bill - Jun 14, 2011
- Left lost polls on Singur land, says CPI-M leader - May 26, 2011
- CPI-M leader keeps away from his 'Occupy Singur' movement - Jul 03, 2012
- Ratan Tata to meet Buddhadeb on Sunday - Sep 27, 2008
- Ratan Tata to meet Buddhadeb today - Oct 03, 2008
- Some day Tata Motors will have plant in Bengal: Ratan Tata (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Most parties cheer Singur order, CPI-M differs - Sep 28, 2011
Tags: car plant, chairman ratan tata, chief minister, exit route, farmers, farmland, favour, formal communication, group chairman, industry minister, mamata, nano project, sept 27, small car, state government, tata group, tata motors, tatas, tmc, west bengal government