Rajnath Singh regrets BJP-BJD alliance breakdownMarch 8th, 2009 - 4:56 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 8 (ANI): Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Chief Rajnath Singh on Sunday, expressed his regret over Biju Janata Dal (BJP) supremo Naveen Patnaik’’s decision to discontinue the 11-year-old alliance between both parties.
In an interview to Times Now, Singh said, “I feel it is unfortunate. We could not ever imagine that the BJP-BJD alliance will break down.”
“I am shocked at the decision…Naveen Patnaik never indicated his dissatisfaction with the alliance,” he added.
Singh said the BJP had sent senior MP Chandan Mitra to ”amicably resolve the issue”, but that exercise had been unsuccessful.
Blaming the BJD solely for the alliance breakdown, he said, “It was a decision of the BJD to break the alliance. Our party leaders are meeting to chalk out the future course of action.”
The BJP-BJD parted ways on Saturday night after seat-sharing talks between Mitra and Patnaik failed.
The BJP withdrew support from the Navin Patnaik-led government and demanded the imposition of President’’s rule in the state.
“The late-night happening was unfortunate. It is not beneficial for both BJP and BJD. Non-Congress vote is sure to be divided but all is not over,” a top party leader said.
According to sources, the BJP is still trying to hold talks on the issue with the BJD, as it fears that the party might join hands with the Third Front.
Apart from Orrisa, the party is slated to discuss coalition developments in Bihar, Maharashtra, Punjab and Haryana.
The BJP’’s prime ministerial candidate LK Advani, who is slated to address a rally in Dehradun later in the day, would be coming back to New Delhi to attend the crucial meeting on Sunday evening. (ANI)
- Voice vote sees Naveen Patnaik win confidence motion in Orissa - Mar 11, 2009
- Congress could benefit from BJP-BJD divorce: Chandan Mitra - Mar 15, 2009
- BJP rules out poll pact with BJD - Oct 31, 2011
- BJP, BJD split in Orissa - Mar 08, 2009
- Patnaik yet to make up mind on joining NDA rally - Dec 09, 2010
- Naveen Patnaik rules out supporting Congress - Mar 07, 2011
- BJD to abstain in vice-presidential poll - Aug 05, 2012
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- BJD refuses to join NDA rally - Dec 15, 2010
- BJP-BJD alliance splits - Mar 07, 2009
- BJP acted troublesome with Hindutva agenda: BJD - Mar 17, 2009
- Odisha protests neglect in railway budget - Mar 15, 2012
- Government wins first NCTC battle in parliament (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- BJP parts ways with BJD, withdraws support to Patnaik government (Second Lead) - Mar 08, 2009
- Naveen Patnaik sworn in as Orissa Chief MinisterNaveen Patnaik sworn in as Orissa Chief Minister - May 21, 2009
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp chief, chandan, congress vote, dehradun, dissatisfaction, imposition, late night, lk advani, mp, navin, New Delhi, party leader, party leaders, prime ministerial candidate, punjab, rajnath singh, rally, saturday night, sunday evening