Rajiv Gandhi assassination conspirator Nalini seeks early release from jailApril 30th, 2008 - 4:38 pm ICT by admin
Vellore, Apr 30 (ANI): Nailini Sriharan, who is serving a life sentence for being involved in the assassination of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi in 1991, has filed a plea in the Madras High Court today, seeking early release.
The plea comes weeks after her emotional meeting with Priyanka Gandhi.
S Doraisamy, who has been representing Nalini, submitted the plea and said, Its a pure coincidence that the plea comes after the highly publicised meeting with Priyanka.
Earlier on March 19, Priyanka Gandhi Vadra had met Nalini at the Vellore Prison, saying that she wanted to know why her father was assassinated.
Referring to the meeting, Doraiswamy said, When Nalini broke down into tears and sought forgiveness, Priyanka held her hand and said: Dont worry. Ive already forgotten everything.
Nalini is the only surviving member of the five-member squad that was recruited to assassinate Rajiv Gandhi. A suicide bomber, Subha had carried out the attack at Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu on May 21, 1991. Rajiv Gandhi and 17 others were killed on the spot.
Nalini, was originally sentenced to death, but her sentence was later commuted to life imprisonment on the intervention of Congress President Sonia Gandhi who pleaded for clemency on account of Nalini’s five-year-old daughter.
Her husband, Murugan, is also sentenced to death though his clemency petition and that of two others is pending before the President. (ANI)
- Rajiv killer Nalini's 'A' class prison facilities restored - Mar 15, 2012
- Rajiv Gandhi killing convict couple meet in Vellore jail - Sep 10, 2011
- Nalini plans to appeal in apex court against decision - Mar 30, 2010
- Gandhi accused Nalini breaks down - Sep 07, 2011
- Rajiv killers' pleas adjourned till Jan 31 - Nov 29, 2011
- Rajiv killers' pleas adjourned till Nov 29 - Oct 28, 2011
- Mobile phone seized from Nalini's cell - Apr 20, 2010
- Madras High Court dismisses Nalini's plea for release - Apr 06, 2010
- Tamil Nadu rejects Nalini's plea for release (Second Lead) - Mar 29, 2010
- Rajiv Gandhi assassination: three to hang Sep 9 (Lead) - Aug 26, 2011
- Tamil Nadu rejects Nalini's plea for release (Lead) - Mar 29, 2010
- Rajiv Gandhi's assassin Nalini may be set free after 19 years - Jan 21, 2010
- Action mulled against Nalini - Apr 23, 2010
- Spare my son, don't hang him, pleads father - Aug 29, 2011
- Rajiv's assassin Nalini moves court for early release - Apr 12, 2010
Tags: clemency petition, coincidence, congress president sonia gandhi, conspirator, forgiveness, former prime minister, life imprisonment, life sentence, madras high court, march 19, member squad, murugan, nalini, plea, priyanka gandhi vadra, rajiv gandhi assassination, sriperumbudur, subha, suicide bomber