Raj Thackeray says no Jet Airways to take off from Mumbai if lay-offs continueOctober 15th, 2008 - 7:58 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai/Hyderabad,Oct.15 (ANI): Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray on Wednesday warned that no Jet Airways flights would be allowed to take off from Mumbai if the airline continued with its policy of laying off employees because of the crisis affecting the aviation sector.
Thackeray’’s warning came as the airline said that it would lay off 800 cabin crew and reduce services to cut costs.
Thackeray said that his Maharashtra Navnirman Sena will meet with Jet Aiways officials on Thursday to discuss the issue. He said that the step was being taken after some of the sacked Jet employees had approached the MNS for help.
Saying hard decisions were the only option on the table, the airline said in a statement that around 800 probationary flight attendants have been let go, and more jobs are set to be axed in other categories.
“The number of flights Jet Airways will be offering in winter schedule will be approximately 15 per cent lower than originally planned. This is inevitable in view of the declining traffic volumes,” the airline said.
The entire force of unconfirmed staff is being laid off on a 30-day compensation package, a top Jet Airways official, who did not want to be named, said.
“It is part of handling economic slowdown and carefully rationalising the operation,” the official said, adding the downsizing is based on capacity, load-factor and traffic patterns.
Jet Airways and Kingfisher Airlines, both of which account for 60 per cent market share in India, had announced an alliance on Monday to share their resources and routes.
Both Naresh Goyal of Jet and Vijay Mallya of Kingfisher, who are in Hyderabad to attend the airshow here, denied any merger moves. (ANI)
- Jet Airways to lay-off 1,100 additional employees - Oct 16, 2008
- Jet staff cries foul after pink slips to 850 (Roundup) - Oct 15, 2008
- Jet employees protest against lay-off continues in Delhi - Oct 16, 2008
- Jet Airways staff cries foul after pink slips to 850 (Lead) - Oct 15, 2008
- Raj Thackeray to take out march even if refused permission - Aug 20, 2012
- Raj Thackeray threatens Jet Airways, wants sacked staff reinstated (Second Lead) - Oct 15, 2008
- Thousands march in Mumbai to protest violence (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray to leave hospital Monday - Jul 22, 2012
- MNS bags Nashik mayor's post - with BJP support - Mar 15, 2012
- MNS protests wrongful sacking of HSBC employees - May 04, 2012
- Rationalise tax structure for aviation sector: Assocham - Nov 12, 2011
- Raj Thackeray attacks Maharashtra government on toll tax - Jun 12, 2012
- MNS activists attack toll posts across Maharashtra - Jun 13, 2012
- Nashik will have MNS mayor: Raj Thackeray - Feb 19, 2012
- Marathi vs migrants - cops told to study leaders' speeches - Nov 04, 2011
Tags: airshow, aviation sector, cabin crew, compensation package, downsizing, economic slowdown, flight attendants, jet airways, jet aiways, kingfisher, kingfisher airlines, lay offs, maharashtra, mallya, mns, naresh goyal, raj thackeray, traffic patterns, traffic volumes, winter schedule